3 point hitch question on sc2400

/ 3 point hitch question on sc2400 #1  

kcook

Platinum Member
Tractor
Cub Lawn Tractor
Is the 2 point hitch a full cat 1 or limited cat 1?

KC

/ 3 point hitch question on sc2400 #2  
My understanding is that what defines a full vs. limited cat 1 hitch is the size of the pins and the width between the hitch arms. In these regards, the hitch is most certainly a full cat 1 hitch.

But, that's not the whole story. While I can easily hitch a full cat 1 implement to my SC2400, I may not be able to really use it.

Like almost all SCUT machines, the SC2400 sits much lower to the ground than most tractors that have a full cat 1 hitch (like a CUT). So, while the hitch will accept the full cat 1 implements, there is not the ground clearance to lift them to a height that makes them usable.

I've found that the SC2400 works MUCH better with implements designed for use with other SCUT machines like the BX24 due being so much lower to the ground.

That said, I do enjoy the tractor and am very happy with it.

/ 3 point hitch question on sc2400
Thanks! Any implements that will not work due to the tractor being low to the ground.

KC

/ 3 point hitch question on sc2400 #4  
KC,

I use my 2400 with a FULL size 5' box scraper. Works well for me, even over very uneven ground. I also have a 4' bush hog designed for use with a FULL size tractor. Works ok. There is no doubt that all implements could benefit from being raised higher off the ground with the 2400.

The hitch is classified as "limited", but the pins are the same as on the "full" cat 1. ???

Alan

/ 3 point hitch question on sc2400 #5  
I think a post hole auger would be one of those implements you'd have an issue with, but they do make them for limited Cat1.

/ 3 point hitch question on sc2400 #6  
Yanmar lists this as a Cat 1 hitch, not a limited cat 1. My understanding is that the only distinction between the different types of hitches are the pin sizes, the arm spacing, and the drawbar horsepower.

You CAN put any regular Cat 1 implement on the SC2400, but you may not have enough ground clearance to make use of it. That's why I use the items designed for the BX series - they tend to not require the clearance.

Here's a chart that I found on Wikipedia which details out the different hitch categories. According to this, the SC2400 has a full Cat 1. Hope the information helps.

Type
Top link size
Lift arm size
Lift arm spacing
Tractor drawbar horsepower
5/8 inch
5/8 inch
20 inch
less than 20
I
3/4 inch
7/8 inch
26 inch
less than 45
II
1 inch
1 1/8 inch
32 inch
40 to 100
III
1 1/4 inch
1 7/16 inch
38 inch
80 to 225
IV
1 3/4 inch
2 inch
46 inch
180 to 400

thanks, I do see a complete line of products now for SCUTS that include a Post hole digger.

KC

/ 3 point hitch question on sc2400 #8  
We must be looking in different places for the 3pt hitch category.

My manual lists the 3pt hitch as "limited" cat1, Cub website lists the hitch as "limited" cat1, my dealer says the hitch is "limited" cat1, and finally calling Cub directly... Cub says that the 2400 does indeed have a "limited" cat1 hitch.

Alan

/ 3 point hitch question on sc2400 #9  
You're right. I was going on what the CC/Y website had listed, which is Cat 1. After reading your post I checked my manual and sure enough it says limited.

My next question was just what does that mean, especially since all the measurements put it squarely as a full cat 1 hitch.

I did some online searches, and apparently the term limited means that the hitch has a limited lift height. Well, I thought that we all assumed that with the SCUT. With them so low to the ground, there's not much chance of having the same lift height as a CUT or a full-sized tractor.

Regardless, mine has not disappointed me. The only implement that I have any trouble with is my middle buster. I like to keep it set very low, which makes it hard to transport up and down hills. Once I'm on flatter terrain though, it works like a champ.

You're right. I was going on what the CC/Y website had listed, which is Cat 1. After reading your post I checked my manual and sure enough it says limited.

My next question was just what does that mean, especially since all the measurements put it squarely as a full cat 1 hitch.

I did some online searches, and apparently the term limited means that the hitch has a limited lift height. Well, I thought that we all assumed that with the SCUT. With them so low to the ground, there's not much chance of having the same lift height as a CUT or a full-sized tractor.

Regardless, mine has not disappointed me. The only implement that I have any trouble with is my middle buster. I like to keep it set very low, which makes it hard to transport up and down hills. Once I'm on flatter terrain though, it works like a champ.

The middle buster was one implement I was considering.

KC