sc2400 won't start. . .

/ sc2400 won't start. . . #1  

beardley

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH Boomer 30
Hi Guys,

I'm new here, and I just got my first new tractor(cub sc2400). I owned an old 9n before that, so this has been a major change. I got the unit in December and it worked great until about mid January. I went out to start it one morning and it started like normal. It ran for 10 minutes warming up, I tried to move it, it stalled, and I haven't heard from it since.

I thought maybe the fuel was gelled, but I had been using the additive to prevent it, and the fuel in the sediment bowl looks clear. I removed the bowl and emptied it out, and it will fill right back up, so I don't think the fuel filter is clogged. I can't figure it out. The battery is fully charged, but it just cranks and cranks, with no sign of starting.

The only other strange thing I noticed is that I would expect some unburned fuel to come out of the exhaust, but i don't see anything.

I'm new to diesels, what am I missing? I think I'm going to have to call the dealer, but I like to fix things myself if I can.

Thanks guys for any help.

/ sc2400 won't start. . . #2  
Just because the sediment bowl is filling doesn't necessarily mean that the fuel is reaching the engine. If it's parked outside in the cold, maybe you've got gelling in the lines further up? Possibly something is wrong with the injector system?

My experience with my SC2400 is that the dealer has been wonderful about taking care of problems, no matter what they were.

I fully understand wanting to fix things myself, but this is exactly the type of thing that we've got the warranty for. At the least, I'd suggest giving the dealer's service dept. a call to see if they can talk you through the steps to diagnose the problem.

In the meantime, if it is parked out in the cold I'd suggest pulling it in somewhere to warm it up and see if that helps. Just remember to release the hydro before pulling/pushing it anywhere. The release is under the seat if I remember correctly.

Good luck. Please post with the diagnosis and solution that you find, so that I can be on the lookout for the problem with mine.

/ sc2400 won't start. . . #3  
Glow plugs working? Bleed injector pump as per your manual. Keep a battery charger on battery while doing injectors. Fuel solenoid working? Yopu should hear a "click" as you turn key to on, it's by the injector pump.

/ sc2400 won't start. . . #4  
Two thoughts...

1. The SC2400 does not need to have the injectors bled, and I can't find anything in my manual about this. From what the dealer told me, you can run it dry and it will self-bleed the injectors.

2. I know that this sounds very basic, but have you made sure that the fuel valve didn't inadvertently get turned off? It is located on the side of the sediment bowl. If this got closed, you'd get a few minutes of run time before things cut out, and then you'd be done until it was opened.

I've thought about whether the problem could be one of your safety switches, but I think that if one was bad you wouldn't be able to even turn the thing over. Definitely sounds like a fuel problem.

/ sc2400 won't start. . .
No the fuel valve is definitely open, and it does turn over. I did check all of the fuses and the 2 60A fusable links and everything looks to be ok. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say.

/ sc2400 won't start. . . #6  
Most likely just gelled up, Put a little more anti-gel,add alittle kerosene and get it in a warm garage overnite.

Unfortunately I don't have a warm garage for it. The temps have been much higher the past week or so(upstate ny) Would I still have gelled fuel in the 40-50 degree range. I also tried running my propane heater on it for a good hour. All the fuel lines were warm to the touch. . .

The technician is going to be coming out on Monday to check it out. I have a hunch that it is the fuel pump. I'll let you guys know what the outcome is so you can watch for it with yours. . .

I'm not sure yet. They took it back with them. . . I wasn't there so I didn't get to talk to him personally. I guess he had said he thought it was a problem with the glow plugs. I guess we will see, but I'm still putting my bet on the fuel pump. Even if the glow plug wasn't working I would expect to see some fuel come out of the exhaust. . . We shall see. . .I'll post what the diagnosis was once I get the unit back.