sc2400 SB45 BLower problems

/ sc2400 SB45 BLower problems #1  

gordyy

Gold Member
Tractor
cub cadet yanmar sc2400 Kubota F2560
not sure if its just me, I have loved everything about the tractor and all the other attachments I got with it.
But that SB45 blower seems to be so poorly built for this tractor
the first 20 minutes on the tractor I caught the cutting edge of the blower on a curb stop. bending the cutting edge back and curling it I tried to back out wouldnt move pulled on the hyd lever and proceeded to bend the bottom down also.
The cutting edge is made of only 3/16 metal and the blower housing looks to be 16 ga material. CC-Yanmar sent me a new housing however that is made of the same thickness and strength material.
the original housing I have straightened and added a piece of 3/8 cutting edge (same size as the loader cutting edge)
then proceeded to have the chain break at about 15 hrs destroying both sprockets and of course the chain
has anybody else been having trouble with theirs
I looked at a cuc cadet garden tractor on a trailer in town the other day that has a 45 inch blower on and looks to be the exact same thing other than the mounting bracket surely they didnnt use the same one
I am currently waiting to hear if anything else is going to be done as I think this complete blower is way to light for the power put out by this tractor.

ON a plus note if I knew how strong this thing would be pushing snow with the loader I believe I would not have bought a front mount went with the cheaper rear mount it would make a more versatile machine.

/ sc2400 SB45 BLower problems #2  
I looked at a cuc cadet garden tractor on a trailer in town the other day that has a 45 inch blower on and looks to be the exact same thing other than the mounting bracket surely they didnnt use the same one

Gordyy -

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't doubt if Cub used the same blower. Several years ago I owned a Cub Super Garden Tractor with the 551 blower, it was a great blowing combo. I've since owned & sold several 3000 series which is what I bet you looked at the other day, and it is the same blower as the older 551. They just changed the mounting/hitch setup.
I own a few Cub compacts with the older blowers, and I THINK the 48" is very similar, again with a different hitch setup.
I have the 54" Cub blower which mounts to my 6000 series, which is built WAY stronger than the 48.
My neighbor has a Cub GT3200 with the blower, and he also caught a curb edge and bent his housing a bit.....but he got it straightened out.
Are you in a subdivision or in town? It seems to me with the frost heaving of sidewalks/driveways you really gotta be careful with the blower, or maybe adjust it up to allow a bit more clearance. I know I've caught some edges with my snow blade, fortunately it has some give with the springs.
Good luck whatever you do!

/ sc2400 SB45 BLower problems #3  
It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them use the same blower for the 2400 as is available for other "garden tractors". I use my bucket to push my snow (300' driveway and parking area) mostly because the outlandish cost of the quick hitch and front blower (around $2500 at the time of purchase). Plus, as you've found out, they aren't build very well. Cub (aka, MTD) makes a 45" walk behind snowblower... if you look at it and then look at the 45" front blower for the 2400, you'll see they are pretty much the same thing. Our tractors put out significantly more power/torque than those walk behind models. I would have expected cub to provided a front mount blower that is built much heavier than a walk behind.

/ sc2400 SB45 BLower problems
well it snowed more than 2 inches again
this time I was blowing a drift the cut is about 14 inches deep and the housing held up
but The gear reduction worm gear in the front had the center fall out dropping the gear through the bottom of the housing.

and the fine folks at MTD tell me I am abusing it by blowing drifted snow its not made for that

/ sc2400 SB45 BLower problems #5  
Wow, that is a lame response from MTD. I guess you can't use any of their snowblowing products on snow that has been moved by the wind then. Kind of makes those products limited to a very small niche market.

/ sc2400 SB45 BLower problems #6  
well it snowed more than 2 inches again
this time I was blowing a drift the cut is about 14 inches deep and the housing held up
but The gear reduction worm gear in the front had the center fall out dropping the gear through the bottom of the housing.

and the fine folks at MTD tell me I am abusing it by blowing drifted snow its not made for that

Oh geez. is there such a thing as a lemon attachment?
And, that is a very lame response from Cub Cadet. What's the difference of a drift, or if it snowed at deep as the drift is? But, that is one person's opinion there....hopefully not their official company policy..! I would hope if you called again and spoke with someone else, you wouldn't get the same response.
I love my 4 Cubs, but sometimes I hear stories that don't make me very proud.

/ sc2400 SB45 BLower problems #7  
Wow, that is a lame response and a poor representation of product support by them. I wish that CC/Yanmar had their own people handling these product service calls not the MTD guys.

Or at least someone with better product knowledge that would be truly helpful (hope you read this Cub Cadet).

I have a 45" blower model 190-551 on my 1782. It is virtually the same basic unit except belt driven (don't even get me started on those shortcomings) Anyway, the tractor, the 1782 is the 17 hp Kubota diesel powered Super garden tractor. Yes, that blower is not all that strong even on a garden tractor. Pretty light guage materials. No, I don't overload it or abuse it but blowing snow drifts is inevitable (sp?) as is moving the plowed up snow from the passing snow plow truck.

You should be getting a decent blower at that price! Deere's 2305 uses the same 47 blower as their largest garden tractors use, however it is a much stronger and heavier unit, imho. If you are unhappy with that Cub blower, I would ask that your dealer contact his CC area rep about either a return or some method of making this right.

/ sc2400 SB45 BLower problems #8  
just got my 2400 saturday no snow here does seem bulit on the light side order blower november 14 just can in dealer said they recalled all invintor for an update did not know what was changed hope i do not have problem
owned a 5000 cub gave me a great deal on trade
with the quick hicth do you have to remove to install
mower ?

/ sc2400 SB45 BLower problems
just got my 2400 saturday no snow here does seem bulit on the light side order blower november 14 just can in dealer said they recalled all invintor for an update did not know what was changed hope i do not have problem
owned a 5000 cub gave me a great deal on trade
with the quick hicth do you have to remove to install
mower ?

Hope they have a lot of updates on the new one
if not I would sure be getting some personal guarantee from the dealer I wish I could say mine was the only one but there are 4 others torn apart at my dealers shop.

However I saw a fellow using this blower in the self propelled version (walk behind) it sure looked strong there. I believe its something to do with the size of the machine pushin it
all I can say about the tractor is unbelievable traction as far as pushin snow with just the turf tires on. The loader has sure been saving my backside

/ sc2400 SB45 BLower problems #10  
I just bought the snowblower attachment last November and haven't had any problems yet. Although my driveway is all blacktop and I'm guessing that we don't get nearly the snow that you get...so it should lead a charmed life. After reading this I may look at a way to reinforce it a little...if I do I'll have my nephew come and take some photos to post. I wish you the best of luck with your blower and hope that your dealer treats you well.