Issue with hydraulics on sc2400

/ Issue with hydraulics on sc2400 #1  

:mur: Has anyone had any issues with the hydraulics on their sc2400? In the late spring I noticed that the 3 pt and the mmm were starting to get slow to lower. It was raising the 3pt fine. The rest of the hydraulic system seems to be operating fine (loader, steering & transmission). The hydraulic fluid was changed according the schedule and is at the proper level. I currently have approx 140 hours on the tractor. At first I thought that maybe my nephew had played with the hydraulic flow control knob and closed it up too tight. Adjusting the knob doesn't seem to have any effect. At this point the grass was growing like wildfire due to all of the rain so I just left the mower on one height and went ahead with life. Now I notice that the 3pt doesn't lift and if you leave the hitch control in the raised position you can hear the hydraulic pump whine. My guess is that there is something wrong with either the control valve or the stop valve for the lift. Ideas and suggestions welcomed.

/ Issue with hydraulics on sc2400 #2  
I'm not sure if we have the same problem but on my SC2400, I've noticed that my MMM seems to leak down while mowing. If I set the deck at say 3, after a minute or two, I'll be scalping the ground. I have not noticed this with my FEL and 3 Pt attachments but it could be happening there as well. My SC is only a couple of months old with about 20 hours on it. HyTrans level is full up and there are no visable leaks that I can find. I'm stumped.

/ Issue with hydraulics on sc2400 #3  
Some 3pt levers are not supposed to be in the fully raised position, full up will keep the relief activated.

Some 3pt levers in full up, send fluid to an aux outlet.

Post #1, push the lever down a little.

TeamFrog,

Post #2, either a valve is leaking, or a cyl is leaking. Is the deck lever vibrating to the down position. After shutting the engine off, does the deck drop and how fast?

/ Issue with hydraulics on sc2400 #4  
Did you fix what was wrong, or solve the problem?

/ Issue with hydraulics on sc2400
Thanks J_J

With the hydraulic flow control / stop knob in the counterclockwise or open position the mmm will lower from full height to wheels on the ground in 75 seconds. With the stop knob turned clockwise to the closed position the mmm does not move up or down (this is the way that it should work in the closed position). I did notice that if the stop knob is in the full open position that is when I had the hydraulic whine. I back it off a hair and the whine goes away and the mmm will lift to the top in approximately 10 seconds.

/ Issue with hydraulics on sc2400 #6  
I'm not sure if we have the same problem but on my SC2400, I've noticed that my MMM seems to leak down while mowing. If I set the deck at say 3, after a minute or two, I'll be scalping the ground. I have not noticed this with my FEL and 3 Pt attachments but it could be happening there as well. My SC is only a couple of months old with about 20 hours on it. HyTrans level is full up and there are no visable leaks that I can find. I'm stumped.

Not sure why you wouldn't have the same issue with other 3pt attachments.
Also IMO the stop should always be used when possible.
You may want to check the 3pt linkage. IIRC just beneath the seat next to the control handle there is a tension adjustment. If this is the problem you will notice the control drifting.

/ Issue with hydraulics on sc2400 #7  
:mur: Has anyone had any issues with the hydraulics on their sc2400? In the late spring I noticed that the 3 pt and the mmm were starting to get slow to lower. It was raising the 3pt fine. The rest of the hydraulic system seems to be operating fine (loader, steering & transmission). The hydraulic fluid was changed according the schedule and is at the proper level. I currently have approx 140 hours on the tractor. At first I thought that maybe my nephew had played with the hydraulic flow control knob and closed it up too tight. Adjusting the knob doesn't seem to have any effect. At this point the grass was growing like wildfire due to all of the rain so I just left the mower on one height and went ahead with life. Now I notice that the 3pt doesn't lift and if you leave the hitch control in the raised position you can hear the hydraulic pump whine. My guess is that there is something wrong with either the control valve or the stop valve for the lift. Ideas and suggestions welcomed.

Sounds like you have isolated the issue to the 3pt itself? It's not just the mower deck?

The only time I've heard my pump whine was when I was lifting 6-700 pounds with the hitch, and was only when it was up all the way.

I think you might have to call the dealer while you're under warranty...sorry.

/ Issue with hydraulics on sc2400

If only the tractor hadn't dropped out of warranty back in Feburary ;)

I found and downloaded the parts list manual from the cub cadet site today. Looks like it has a fairly good breakdown of the control valve and parts list.

/ Issue with hydraulics on sc2400 #9  
Sounds like you have isolated the issue to the 3pt itself? It's not just the mower deck?

The only time I've heard my pump whine was when I was lifting 6-700 pounds with the hitch, and was only when it was up all the way.

With the 3pt lever in the full up position, you are forcing the 3pt valve to activate the relief valve.

The only time you should hear the whine of the relief going off is when the load you are trying to lift is to great, or you are holding the 3pt lever to high.

After you hear the whine, push the lever down a little.

The purpose of the knob is to adjust the descend rate, or close off the fluid from the 3pt cyl, holding/locking the 3pt at any position.

If the knob is closed down, and you raise the 3pt lever, expect the whine, because the valve is relieving, because you have closed off the flow from the 3pt cyl.

/ Issue with hydraulics on sc2400 #10  
After you hear the whine, push the lever down a little.

I did:cool:

Thanks for the info though. I wasn't quite sure of the cause. Except the weight:laughing: