Cub Cadet Yanmar SC2400

/ Cub Cadet Yanmar SC2400 #1  

Sproctor

Tractor
Sc2400
Originally put this under Yanmar
I am on a very limited income. I wanted a new tractor and the SC2400 was within reach. I live on 227 acres that has had some but not a great deal of management over the past 20 years. To cut it short I am using this little tractor as if it is a big boy. The problem I have encountered is the front end clearance is lacking. Twice now brush has torn the little rubber boots on the front axle. The first time the dealer replaced one of the boots under warranty. Now I guess the second one is on me. My questions are is the rubber boots necessary? Will a torn boot hurt anything? What is the degree of experience needed if I tried to replace it myself. Thanks, Steve

/ Cub Cadet Yanmar SC2400 #2  
The covers prevent debris from getting into and wrapped around the universal joint. I don't know how easy they are to replace. If they are made in two pieces like a CV joint boot you may just have to undo the clamps and pull them off. If they arn't made that way you may be able to find a CV joint repair boot that will fit that would make replacing them easy. You may also may want to make some kind of brush guard the would protect them.

/ Cub Cadet Yanmar SC2400
Thanks OldMachinist

/ Cub Cadet Yanmar SC2400 #4  
Did the same thing to my 2450 the first hr. I've been considering some sort of guard but it'll have to wait till I have more time. Anyway, I'm not real concerned about the rubber protector. If need be, it would be easy to use some rubber from an old tube and zip tie it on. My main concern would be striking something solid with the steering arm and bending it. My old low boy has been bent many, many times.

/ Cub Cadet Yanmar SC2400 #5  
I had the same problem with my sc2400. Whenever I mow high weeds, the woody ones wreak havoc with those boots. The first time they were torn, the dealer replaced them. The second time, he wrapped inner tube rubber around the joints and fastened it with hose clamps. That solution worked for a season before the rubber was torn as well. Finally, I got some stiff radiator hose, cut it into 6 inch pieces, slit it length-wise on one side, and slipped it over the joint and axle. It offers great protection, but I have to check it regularly since the hose isn't fastened in place. It tends to slide, but it has stayed attached. Those boots are fine if you're just mowing grass. However, since the sc2400 is such a great little workhorse, I use it in heavier-duty situations.