Manufacuring Defect Cub Yanmar SC2400

/ Manufacuring Defect Cub Yanmar SC2400 #1  

richnchris

Tractor
Cub Yanmar SC 2400TL
On 7-23-2011 I purchased a New Cub Yanmar SC 2400 TL. As soon as I got it home and began to work with the loader I noticed a problem. When the tractor was put under load the range selector would vibrate violently and jump from low range to high. Since I have had the tractor this has been a continual problem. The Dealer came and picked up the tractor October 3 of this month. He still has not been able to correct the problem even with working with the factory. In my discussions with the dealer I was informed that the jumping out of range problem has been noted before. I would be careful in buying this tractor as this problem may be an manufacturing defect for this tractor. I only hope I will get the tractor back before winter so I can install the plow. Winters can be severe in the hills of NY.

/ Manufacuring Defect Cub Yanmar SC2400 #2  
In as much as Cub (MTD) and Yanmar have parted ways (or so I read here) you may be SOL.

/ Manufacuring Defect Cub Yanmar SC2400 #3  
In as much as Cub (MTD) and Yanmar have parted ways (or so I read here) you may be SOL.

It was my understanding from reading the articles at the time, that Yanmar was going to continue support for the Cub/Yanmars. Meanwhile, If the selling dealer is worth his salt, he will either perform the service and get the parts, or facilitate getting the owner connected with someone who can. This is not an old "orphan" tractor. I don't think the owner is SOL by any means.

/ Manufacuring Defect Cub Yanmar SC2400 #4  
I had noted a similar issue with my SC2400. Check your hydrofluid level. I found mine was down about 1/2cup. Topped it off and have not had the range jump issue since. Level dropped from numerous disconnects of the FEL to mow my lawn.

/ Manufacuring Defect Cub Yanmar SC2400 #5  
I had noted a similar issue with my SC2400. Check your hydrofluid level. I found mine was down about 1/2cup. Topped it off and have not had the range jump issue since. Level dropped from numerous disconnects of the FEL to mow my lawn.
That is a very interesting observation, I wonder if JJ might have a comment on that.

/ Manufacuring Defect Cub Yanmar SC2400
That is a very interesting observation, I wonder if JJ might have a comment on that.

About 1 year ago the company had to come up with a fix for the problem. When the tractor was put under load the lever would vibrate and shake, kind of like a tuning fork. It didn't necessary have to be a super heavy load either. This vibration became so severe that it would force the transmission to jump from low range to high. The dealer came down and made sure, by driving the tractor and working on a pile of dirt that was in my yard, that I had correctly identified the problem. He observed the same problem. And he was a more experienced operator than I was. I was just leaning and still am with regard to using a loader. I myself though, had a tendency to baby the tractor. Especially during the 50 hour break in process. The dealer took the tractor to his shop.

After 2 or 3 tries he company came up with a fix that they sent the dealer. They had to rework the handle with a heaver detent, and a very heavy spring to keep the shift lever from jumping to from low to high range. So far the fix has worked. However when the tractor is put under load you can look at the range handle and you can still see the range lever vibrating back and forth. As a matter of fact, this is not a small vibration, but rather, if you look at the top of the lever you can visibly see it. It is quite pronounced.

I am quite particular as to maintenance on my tractor. I have JD 420 with a 20 horse Onan, which is about 40 years old and Cub Cadet with a direct drive. They keep going because I take care of my equipment. Because the nearest dealer is about 60 miles away the company (Yanmar) allowed me to do my own transmission fluid and filter change at 50 hours of use which the dealer made note of. There was never a question about correct fluid level in my tractor. Other than this problem, this is a great tractor. The company has been very good along with the dealers. Yet my questions still is and has been, what is causing the vibration inside the transmission, that is evidenced by the shaking and vibration of the shift lever in the first place, and do a shift lever with a bigger detent and a heaver spring really correct the problem inside the tranny or put a band aid on it. From my perspective there should not be a problem at all. And in the future will this somehow affect the transmission as a whole. What happens if after the five year warranty if the transmission fails because of this problem? Only time will tell.

/ Manufacuring Defect Cub Yanmar SC2400 #7  
What do you mean" the Company allowed you to do your own service"? Is that not normally allowed?

/ Manufacuring Defect Cub Yanmar SC2400
The company did not say I couldn't do my own maintenance. However the tractor manual suggests that you do so. The company has been very good to me. At the first Tranny and oil change at 50 hours they gave me a complementary engine oil and tranny change, which included both filters (oil and transmission) oil for the engine and 2 gallons of transmission oil, all without change. There is a 5 year warranty on the power train. Even with the problem for this little tractor, last year I moved about 300 tons of road ditch dirt that was left by the town I live in. So over all, I am satisfied with the company and my tractor. I put this tractor through its paces. Still, I can't help wonder what caused this issue in the first place. The bottom line for me is I guess, is long at the tractor preforms as it should without the **** lever jumping from low to high range, I can live with that.

/ Manufacuring Defect Cub Yanmar SC2400 #9  
I have a cub cadet sc2400 that gets stuck in between the hi and low range on the arm with it being in low range. Took it into the yanmar dealer, [50 miles one way] they got it going from hi to low but within 2 weeks it was back to being stuck the same way again. Anyone having/had the same problem? Did you get permanent results on a fix?

/ Manufacuring Defect Cub Yanmar SC2400 #10  
Try gently blipping the throttle pedal, then shift into gear. Sometimes it just takes a little bit of movement of the HST pump or drivetrain for the gears to mesh. This issue is very common across all HST makes and models.