Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    CUB/YANMAR SX 3100

Default block heater on sc 2400??

Do i need to get a block heater for the tractor? I live in northern michigan and the tractor is already getting harder to start and the temp today was about 35. It is stored outside not in a garage. When it first starts it idles at about 500 rpm's for about 10 seconds untill it warms up enough to idle like normal. I dont want the first real cold weather and snow to come and my tractor wont start. Please let me know your thoughts.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, B26 TLB

Default Re: block heater on sc 2400??

Any engine that sits in the cold will benefit from a block heater. That's your baby, keep her warm! put it on a timer so you can have her hot when you want.
    Working to increase the scope of the small tractor experience, one quick attach at a time.

Tractor
    Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//CAT 312B//Komatsu D38

Northern Mi?? Outside?? Definitely a block heater. How about one of those little portable garages for around $300 to keep the snow and rain off?

Just a thought.....

Tractor
    CUB/YANMAR SX 3100

ya i have been looking at those at tsc. they were on sale for $240.00 this past weekend. I did some research and found out they dont hold up real well in the wind. And i basically live in a wide open field and it gets very windy. Im currently looking for a cover but am having no luck. My only hope is that a john deere 2320 cover will fit? The dimensions are very close with the john deere a inch or 2 smaller in some areas but the bottom of the cover has a draw cord if it is slightly to big. Does anyone know if installing a block heater is simple or not? I called my local dealer and can get one for $82.00. They said it goes in place of a freeze plug. I will have to look at the tractor tonight and see how open the freeze plugs are.
    sx 3100 Cub/Yanmar, loader, 60" MMM, snow blade to come before winter

Northern Michigan

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, B26 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by dslanec View Post
    ya i have been looking at those at tsc. they were on sale for $240.00 this past weekend. I did some research and found out they dont hold up real well in the wind. And i basically live in a wide open field and it gets very windy. Im currently looking for a cover but am having no luck. My only hope is that a john deere 2320 cover will fit? The dimensions are very close with the john deere a inch or 2 smaller in some areas but the bottom of the cover has a draw cord if it is slightly to big. Does anyone know if installing a block heater is simple or not? I called my local dealer and can get one for $82.00. They said it goes in place of a freeze plug. I will have to look at the tractor tonight and see how open the freeze plugs are.
    I put one on my B7800 and it is simple if you have the right tool. Mine required a very large metric allen wrench. I made one out of a metric bolt and an old 1/2" socket rather than buy one for the one use. It worked well.
    Working to increase the scope of the small tractor experience, one quick attach at a time.

Tractor
    CCY SC2450

Those light weight, inexpensive shelters will collapse in a snow. There is a block heater for the 2400, as you know. There is also a lower radiator hose heater. You install it by removing the lower rad hose and putting the electric heater device inline with two shorter hoses. I'm looking for the block heater this year, and the lower rad hose heater for next year. No sense wasting all that new coolant.

Radiator heater part number 759-04003 from Cub or 1A7880-57250 from Yanmar.
    Last edited by Skyssx; 11-29-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Tractor
    CUB/YANMAR SX 3100

Quote Originally Posted by Skyssx
    Those light weight, inexpensive shelters will collapse in a snow. There is a block heater for the 2400, as you know. There is also a lower radiator hose heater. You install it by removing the lower rad hose and putting the electric heater device inline with two shorter hoses. I'm looking for the block heater this year, and the lower rad hose heater for next year. No sense wasting all that new coolant.

Radiator heater part number 759-04003 from Cub or 1A7880-57250 from Yanmar.
    This is all new to me. If I get the block heater and take out a freeze plug. Do I have to drain the coolant first?

Northern Michigan

Platinum Member

Definitely or it will all run out the freeze plug hole. Same deal with the hose heater but it would be easier to install IMO.

Bob B.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

You can also try this site.... Wolverine Engine Heaters

they sell, and i have purchased 3 of them, a glue on heater. they are super easy to install and dont have to drain anything.

And boy do they work great
    I put on a 125 watt heater on the oil pan (needs a flat spot, no ridges), a 250 watt heater on the transmission/HST unit and another 250 watt heater on my 3 point reat hydraulic tank that supplies the snow blower.

I set mine to operate on a wall timer for a few hours before i need the tractor, and only use them if the temp is below 20F.

Without them everything growls and protests starting up (like i do climbing out of my warm bed) , but with them everything starts nice and smoothly....major difference.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    CUB/YANMAR SX 3100

Are these the freeze plugs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -11-30-11-477-jpg   -11-30-11-475-jpg  

Northern Michigan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast