which box blade for yanmar ex2900?

/ which box blade for yanmar ex2900? #1  

alltherage

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 Cub Yanmar EX2900. 1939 Farmall A, 1940 Farmall H, 1959 Oliver 770
Hi all,
I'm wondering what box blade to get for our 29hp yanmar. The rear wheels are 59" wide. I'm thinking 60" or 72". I'll probably go with the yellow countyline from tsc. I don't know how much those blades way. Would the 72" be too heavy? Would the 60" create issues because it's barely wider than the tires?

I want to grade our 60 yard driveway and smooth out the area that gets rough around the house from snowplowing season. We also have some wet spots that I'd like to regrade. The clay soils make shedding the water difficult in some of the yard areas.

thanks for the help

/ which box blade for yanmar ex2900?
ugh...can't believe i spelled "weigh" "way" lol

/ which box blade for yanmar ex2900? #3  
I would venture to say the tractor is set up to handle a 60". You could probably get away with a 72", but would have to get a lighter one. Between the tractor HP and weight, it can only reasonably pull so much weight....and the extra foot in the box blade adds up to extra weight.
I'm in the same dilemma for my 49 HP tractor....between a 72" and 84". Right now I'm thiking a 72".

Good luck!

/ which box blade for yanmar ex2900? #4  
My 30hp Kubota pulls a 60" BB pretty well, I don't think I'd want to go bigger than that considering I have unloaded R4's. Depends on what you'll be pulling it through...I have heavy clay and stone. I went with a Taylor-Way which for the same price was much better built than offerings from TSC.

/ which box blade for yanmar ex2900? #5  
I have not had any problems with my 60"" BB. If I was just using a BB for driveway maintenance I probably would have gone with a larger BB.

/ which box blade for yanmar ex2900? #6  
30 HP New Holland works well with 60" BB and 72" Blade and most of the dirt around here is clay.

/ which box blade for yanmar ex2900? #7  
The 72" could be problematic if you have any tight spaces you will be working in. The County Line Brand is made by Tarter for TSC and is a pretty good, relatively inexpensive box blade. If you are looking for rear ballast you might consider a heavier blade although it will be more expensive.

/ which box blade for yanmar ex2900? #8  
I would go with the 60" for sure. On a 30HP tractor, that's as large as I would ever recommend. I have a 60" myself and it puts my 42HP deer to work, with a 72" I am sure I can pull my tractor to a dead stop even in 4WD.

/ which box blade for yanmar ex2900? #9  
alltherage said:
I want to grade our 60 yard driveway and smooth out the area that gets rough around the house from snowplowing season. We also have some wet spots that I'd like to regrade. The clay soils make shedding the water difficult in some of the yard areas.

thanks for the help

I think you've gotten some good advice on the appropriate size for your tractor, but I have a slightly different take on this. I would suggest that you read some of the threads on here about grading gravel driveways with box blades vs land planes (or grading scrapers). Only you can decide - just want you to make an informed purchase. My personal experience on my driveway plus four others using a box blade and a land plane is that the land plane is absolutely the best choice for me. It's much easier to eliminate the washboard effect with a land plane. There's a ton of information on here. You might also check the video on www.(Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure). Good luck!