Tractor
    Yanmar LX4500, Toro z420

Default Yanmar LX Series, Turbo or non-Turbo?

I am finally getting close to purchasing a tractor, possibly next week.

I am undecided on which engine model to get. The LX 410 and 450 have 134.6cu engines that operate at 2700RPM. The LX490 model has a smaller engine at 121.7cu with a turbo that puts out a little more horsepower at 100 less RPM.

I don't think for my needs I'll really need the extra horsepower of the LX490, would there be a hydraulic performance gain with the faster RPM engines? Larger displacement vs smaller displacement, is a turbo worth it? (One more thing to maintain and break), etc. Curious to know other people's thoughts. Thanks!

Tractor
    New Holland TC40DA

Default Re: Yanmar LX Series, Turbo or non-Turbo?

While there are some efficiency gains with a turbo I personally don't want one on my tractor,It usually operates in very dusty conditions.If I lived at altitude I would have a different view of turbo motors.There are also procedural steps to shutting off a turbocharged motor that make it 'slightly' more inconvenient when it come time to shut it down for whatever reason after it's been working hard.They need to be idled for a bit to cool down some.And yes when a turbo does go bad the bill will seem to be supercharged.
    Brian
    If you can't find something you didn't "loose" it,the word is lose.....stop wasting so many O's

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 2320

Quote Originally Posted by 257NH View Post
    While there are some efficiency gains with a turbo I personally don't want one on my tractor,It usually operates in very dusty conditions.If I lived at altitude I would have a different view of turbo motors.There are also procedural steps to shutting off a turbocharged motor that make it 'slightly' more inconvenient when it come time to shut it down for whatever reason after it's been working hard.They need to be idled for a bit to cool down some.And yes when a turbo does go bad the bill will seem to be supercharged.

Brian
    Do you like hydrostatic transmissions?
    they can use a cool down just like a turbo. and they are just as expensive if not MORE so!
    I always let my hydrostatic tractor run for a few minutes once back to the garage to let the trans cooler disapate some of the heat. Is it necessary? I don't know but it sure makes me more comfortable. and BTW my tractor WILL be turbocharged too real soon!
    2010 JD 2320, 200cx, Frontier 1060R RFM, 2048 BB, LR1072 rake, IMatch, 5 suitcase weights.
    NEED MORE IMPLEMENTS!

Tractor
    New Holland TC40DA

OK.... I don't know if its needed for a hydro either,I do know it's needed for a turbo.I have to ask,Your post came across as slightly angry.Are you mad?
    Brian
    Last edited by 257NH; 07-18-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    If you can't find something you didn't "loose" it,the word is lose.....stop wasting so many O's

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

Most modern turbos do not need a cooldown period. If they have water cooled bearings and a recirculation system, they are OK with a normal shutdown.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet/Yanmar LX410

I have the LX410 and it seems like plenty of horse power. I would think the turbo would complicate things and make it more expensive when it wears out. I would say go simple without the turbo.

Tractor
    Yanmar LX4500, Toro z420

Well, I did some internet parts searches between the two engines and besides the turbo it seems like starters and alternators, etc are a little easier to find for the non-turbo engine. I'm just trying to get a feel for maintenance costs after the drivetrain warranty expires.

I'm leaning towards the Lx450 but I'm a little disappointed with the price quote I just got for one with HST: $25,295 with loader, no remotes. The shuttle-sync transmissions are definitely cheaper!

Re HST temperatures I'd suggest putting in a temp gauge, maybe its possible to weld on a bung to the pans for these? I used to be a worry wart about the tranny temps in my Jeep TJ until I installed a temp gauge and saw how cool the fluid actual runs at normal operating temperatures.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD2520/Kubota KX008/ Argo Bigfoot 6x6

What did you wind up buying? I just drove a LX4900 yesterday. Nice machine, but I don't think I'd need the turbo.

Tractor
    Yanmar LX4500, Toro z420

I did get the LX4500 HST and I've put about 17 hours on it. After I hemmed and hawed on the price, Yanmar dropped the price by another grand. Supposedly Yanmar paid the dealer for the difference in the dealer's cost, which was higher.

I'm really happy with it. The operator manuals are easy to understand and the tractor has plenty of power, I've had no problems ripping up the hard gravel on my 400' driveway with a 72" TSC King Kutter Box blade, and I've spread about 55 tons of new gravel aggregate with the loader. When operating the loader I use the Syncro Throttle (foot peddle control of engine RPM). The loader seems fast and responsive, no complaints there. Note, I've loaded my rear Ag tires each with a 400lb methanol/water mix in addition to using the 500lb box blade for ballast.

When dragging the box blade I set the RPM on the column. One newbie mistake I made was first tearing up the ground with the box blade where the fresh gravel gets delivered by dump truck. If I'm not quick enough on the loader controls, or I pull a large amount of dirt with the box, the rear AG tires will dig themselves a hole in the freshly disturbed gravel.

Re HST, with the Syncro throttle there's no feeling its going to stall pushing into the load, you just "give it some gas" as the load increases. There's a little bit of "HST whine" in high range, but put some load on it, or use a lower range, and the whine goes away. Like other HST gear levers I've read about, the control lever sometimes at first will not go into the gear range you're selecting. When this happens just give it a little throttle, or brake, and the lever will drop into gear. I read elsewhere on TBN this might be get better with some break-in time.

I don't have any PTO attachments yet to report on. I do have a set of Bradco forks from Everything Attachments on order tho.
    Last edited by Katahdin; 09-20-2012 at 08:08 PM.