New member looking at a Yanmar 2400

/ New member looking at a Yanmar 2400 #1  

Riddick

Tractor
none yet
Hi all. Looking at a SC 2400. I had to make a first post, so this may as well be it.
Where can I find more info? Yanmars website isn't quite as "pretty" as JD or MF.
Overall opinions?
Thanks
Dave

/ New member looking at a Yanmar 2400 #3  
Welcome Riddick. Enjoy TBN. I have had my SC2400 for a year now and am pleased. Nothing to complain about. I had a JD with a Yanmar engine and that made me look at them last year. Glad I did, it turned out to be he best price too.:thumbsup:

/ New member looking at a Yanmar 2400 #4  
Welcome aboard.

I agree that Yanmar's site isn't much to look at. Here's Yanmar's site on the 2400/2450 Yanmar Tractors: Sub-Compact Tractors: Sc Series There's a spec sheet there. For the price it will be hard to find anything better, but then I haven't priced tractors since 2009 when I bought my Sc2400. For the most part, all of the scuts are pretty close in capabilities.

Off the top of my head, here's some of the things I like about it:

I love the shift on the fly where you can go from low to high without stopping.
I also like the three point in that it's smooth and your able to adjust it in any position without any jerking.
The one thing I like the most about it, is the position of the loader joystick. It's a nice natural feeling with it on the fender instead of up by the steering wheel.​

One thing I don't like, is the fact that it's so easy to drive, my wife spends all day playing on it while I'm at work. :D

DSC04026.jpg

I think the specs say it has a 4" digging capacity, I think I went a little past that. In some spots it's easily 12" deep.
DSC04028.jpg

I have a Wallenstein BX42s that the Sc2400 handles without any issues.
BXs Series Wood Chippers - Wallenstein

/ New member looking at a Yanmar 2400 #5  
Riddick....Welcome to TBN. On here you will find a multitude of information and advice that should help you make the right decision in your purchase, no matter what machine it is, and advice on how to keep that machine up and running a long time afterwards.

As for the SC2400, I owned one for about 3 years and all I can say is, Kubota better watch out because there's a new kid on the block in the sub compact tractor market. I can say that being I've owned, operated, and used various sizes and models of tractors for the past 40 years and feel Yanmar hit the jackpot with this tractor. I found it to be very user friendly and the ergonomics of the steering wheel, seat, and controls (both foot and hand), along with the assist handles, were very well thought out even for a person of my size, (6'3" and weigh 245).

As there is with anything new, I found a few things that I didn't care for and I let Cub Cadet and Yanmar know about it, too. Those things were, a bolt that fell out of the fuel pump, the air cleaner bracket broke, and 2 mmm brackets broke in the same spot. Plus, I had an unusual problem with the brake linkage interfering with the hydro pedal causing the tractor to not move forward. But, Yanmar took care of all of those issues at no cost to me so overall, dealer and manufacturer support are good things to consider when buying a new tractor.

All that said, I'd still recommend a SC2400 to anyone who needs a powerful tractor and doesn't have the need for a bigger tractor. By that I mean, if you have more than say 20 acres, I'd go with a Yanmar EX 3200, which is what I own now. Initially, I thought the SC2400 would work for mowing the outer edges of our 50 acres but it didn't. I could have got by with it but I would have beaten it up trying to keep the high grass under control so, in May of this year I traded the SC2400 in for the EX 3200 and now feel I have the last tractor I should ever need. It handles the tall grass so much easier with the 5ft bush hog and the larger fel is nice too, when its needed. But, if you don't have a lot of acreage, I'd go with the SC2400.

Also, if you do decide to buy one I'd recommend having the rear tires swapped which makes the rear of the tractor sit wider and more stable on hilly terrain. After I had that done on the SC2400 it reduced that tippy feeling on hilly/uneven terrain, if you know what I mean. However, that doesn't mean it can't tip over on a person. Common sense and caution are still the main rules when operating any tractor, large or small, on any terrain.

Well, I hope that helps. Have a good one...Bill

Last edited:
   / New member looking at a Yanmar 2400 #6  
Welcome Dave