A little advice for those contemplating purchase of a new Yanmar

/ A little advice for those contemplating purchase of a new Yanmar #1  

Eyecatcher

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar EX450, Ford 8N/2N, Case 580C backhoe, Massey 185
I own an EX450, with a CL400 Loader. Be advised this is a CubCadet Yanmer (discontinued) I read on another section of this forum that there is a huge lawsuit in progress concerning gray market yanmars. I wonder why this hasn't happened with those of us unfortunate enough to own an obsolete tractor, less than 2 years old? I know this sounds like sour grapes, but read on.

The FEL, with quick attach, the two pads for the quick connect, are tied together with a piece of schedule 40 black iron pipe. We all know, that occasionally. we load one corner of the bucket. MISTAKE! This flimsy piece of pipe twists, now when you take the bucket off, it won't go back on, (or anything else that's
supposed to). Yanmar says this isn't a problem. We replaced this piece of pipe with schedule 80 - no more problems.

FEL bucket "floats". Has ever since the machine was new. This is not sponge, or cavitation. Loader uses a Prince valve with regeneration which is supposed to take care of this problem. Each time you lower the bucket to the ground, it will flatten out. If you try to dig, it will either dive or float on top, until you add hydraulic power (at higher rpms) to recharge the bucked tilt cylinders.

Lazenby Equipmetn in Hampton Florida sold me this unit. I have been in constant contact with them and Yanmar America since early May concerning the "float" problem. We talked about this problem back and forth, for 3 months. Myself, Lazenby and Yanmar America. Yanmar shipped Lazenby a replacement valve mid July. Arrangements were made to drop the tractor off there (60 miles) 7/23/12. They had the machine for 2 weeks, never put a wrench on it, only took videos and sent to Yanmar America. They didn't like the videos (poor quality)? On 8/7/12/, Yanmar advised me to go get the tractor, which I did. Yanmar doesn't know if there's a problem or not (FEL is almost unusable) but they have agreed to come here to the farm and look at it with me. (I'll believe that when it happens). I brought the tractor home yesterday, and after using it for 2 hours, pushing dirt, it started puking hydraulic oil from the loader valve.
I called Yanmar, and they said the machine is over 2 years old, your problem. Luckily, a 1/4 turn on one of the banjo fittings cured it, but it was on the bucket tilt cylinder, so I thought it might be part of the problem. I wasn't, the problem is still there.

I bought the EX450 based on prior experience with a 336D that I owned for over 10 years. Believe me, it was a better machine.

My advice to new purchasers: The LX series is probably a better machine, but don't buy it from Lazenby. Look hard at a Kubota.

/ A little advice for those contemplating purchase of a new Yanmar #2  
Well, I paid for an LX450 last week but haven't picked it up yet because I'm waiting on AG Tires to come in. So I'm sorry to hear about your troubles and I worry about the longevity of my recent investment. However, I do have the loader manual for the CL600 in front of me and I have been leafing through it. Have you or the dealer done any of the prescribed regular maintenance to the loader? The manual I have says to tighten the loader valves every 50 hours and replace all the hydraulic hoses after 2 years. You've already found one loose valve and your hoses are at least two years old. Just wondering if this maintenance would cure what could be air leaking into your hydraulic system and your headache.

/ A little advice for those contemplating purchase of a new Yanmar #3  
Replacing hoses every 2 years is BS, for a manufacturer to put that in a manual is questionable in itself. It'd probably be a couple hundred bucks. I'd guess my 186d has the original 30 year old hoses on it. It also is completely unrelated to the problem to OP is having.

/ A little advice for those contemplating purchase of a new Yanmar
During the process of trying to get this loader valve fixed, I had opportunity to compare the EX series to the LX, and the CL400 to CL600 loaders. You got a much better machine in both instances. More hydro gpm, larger hoses, larger cylinders and a much heavier loader frame. Congrats!!!

/ A little advice for those contemplating purchase of a new Yanmar #5  
I bought the CubCadet/Yanmar in March 2012, mid deck, backhoe, blower, cab, blade and box scraper. My iggest problem is with the 60" midmount mower and the attachment and handle on the front. It is quite simply a total pain to get it on and off. If you don't though you end up dragging it thru all your backhoe or 3 point hitch work.

I still must say I like it alot, absolutely no fluid consumption and with the rpm's, will work like a dog.