Tractor
    Yanmar Cub Cadet EX2900

Default Yanmar Cub Cadet EX2900 gear shift lever just flops around....

Hello guys, hope someone has had/seen/heard about this 1st breakdown on this compact tractor. Its got the hydro trans & I was just driving out 200 yds from the house, stopped, left idleing & went back up to move again & the shifter lever just moves freely...no gear engagement at all. Its now stuck in gear & the gear shift lever has no effect at changing gears...can't even feel anything thru the lever...just an effortless movement. It will not start due to the neutral safety switch seeing it in gear.

Checked the lever to the horizontal shaft going into the trans & the external roll pin looks intact & is moving the horizontal shaft. I can actually pull the shaft/lever out about 1 1/2" till it hit the inside of the rear fender.

Anyone got any ideas? Broke something internally in the trans. I hear theres another roll pin inside the trans.

Also, anyone know where the neutral safety switch is on this thing? Need to bypass to get the tractor closer to the garage/tools.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    '13 Yanmar Lx4100

Default Re: Yanmar Cub Cadet EX2900 gear shift lever just flops around....

Quote Originally Posted by DanF View Post
    Hello guys, hope someone has had/seen/heard about this 1st breakdown on this compact tractor. Its got the hydro trans & I was just driving out 200 yds from the house, stopped, left idleing & went back up to move again & the shifter lever just moves freely...no gear engagement at all. Its now stuck in gear & the gear shift lever has no effect at changing gears...can't even feel anything thru the lever...just an effortless movement. It will not start due to the neutral safety switch seeing it in gear.

Checked the lever to the horizontal shaft going into the trans & the external roll pin looks intact & is moving the horizontal shaft. I can actually pull the shaft/lever out about 1 1/2" till it hit the inside of the rear fender.

Anyone got any ideas? Broke something internally in the trans. I hear theres another roll pin inside the trans.

If that shaft pulls out that far it definatly sounds like whatever is on the end of that shaft! Can you access the starter? If so leave the ign on and jump the starter to get it running and to your garage at least.

Also, anyone know where the neutral safety switch is on this thing? Need to bypass to get the tractor closer to the garage/tools.

If that shaft pulls out that far it definatly sounds like whatever is on the end of that shaft! Can you access the starter? If so leave the ign on and jump the starter to get it running and to your garage at least.

Tractor
    Yanmar Cub Cadet EX2900

Default Re: Yanmar Cub Cadet EX2900 gear shift lever just flops around....

Quote Originally Posted by DanF View Post

I happen to stumble by & will reply to my own post here. It was indeed a hardened roll pin that apparently vibrated loose ( I guess) on a gear shaft in the transmission. Took several hrs of just getting to it (seat, mounts, hyd lines, etc). Pin was in good condition, reinstalled, staked this time and to this day its still going w/o another incident. Cost: ~$3 in copper washers from NAPA for the hyd lines.