Yanmar ex2900 oil dilemma

/ Yanmar ex2900 oil dilemma #1  

alltherage

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 Cub Yanmar EX2900. 1939 Farmall A, 1940 Farmall H, 1959 Oliver 770
I just did the 50hr service on our tractor and put in Rotella T5 semi synthetic 10w-30. I really wanted to use T6 5w-40 full synthetic but the manual calls for 10w-30 or 10w-40 and it's still under warranty. Anyway, I looked at the manual again and it calls for "CF or Higher" oil. T5 doesn't list CF, CF-2or CF-4 on the label. It lists everything above those ... CG-4, CH-4, CI-4, and CJ-4.
I did some digging last night, and according to the API Oil Guide, CF and CF-2 are still current and designed for non-turbo engines with higher sulfur such as in off-road applications. CF-4 is obsolete. It lists CJ-4 as superseding CF-4, but not CF or CF-2. The CJ-4 rating is more for new turbo low sulpur applications on-highway.
Does this mean that i shouldn't use T5, or T6 for that matter? I know the plain ol' T triple protection 15w-40 is CJ-4 AND CF rated. What is technically "higher" from CF? CF-4? or anything? If CF-4 qualifies, then CJ-4 is an adequate substitute. Am I stressing for nothing? I just put it in a couple days ago and will change if need be. Thanks!

/ Yanmar ex2900 oil dilemma #2  
You are fine, the fuel you are using is low or ultra-low sulfur it will be fine.
Sulfur would create acids in the oil and attack soft metals such as bearings so it had additives to neutralize it.
Low sulfur fuel requires less base to control this.
The big thing in today’s diesels is EGR which pushes soot into the oil. The oil must control and suspend the soot until it can be drained.
Your tractor (our tractors) have a good life and most likely receive better care (more frequent oil changes) than required so the oil is far from used up when it is changed.
Another fact to consider is the engine size/HP versus oil capacity, the larger the oil sump the longer you can go between changes. My Ford 1720 holds 5 its & my Cummins holds 12 if engine size is taken into account the sump on my tractor holds the equivalent of 20 quarts.
Sorry for the rather long answer, there are so many things that influence a correct answer today.
There is no longer a hard fast rule.

/ Yanmar ex2900 oil dilemma #3  
Hello alltherage,
I have an SX3100 with a yanmar 3ntv88 engine in it and it states 10w30 or 10w40. I just did an oil change with 3 hours on it yep thats right 3 hours. Its a new unit and i didn't know how long that oil was in it so for my piece of mind i wanted it changed. I used Rotella T 10w30 conventional oil for now at the 50 hour service i'll start to run synthetic oil in it. Your good with what you have in it. My buddy has a JD 3032E with also the same yanmar 3ntv88 in it. The JD manual
also list 10w30, 10w40, and 15w40. Just remember the CH rating or higher. Just think ahead to the temps you'll be using it in and select the correct weight oil for the temp. I'll be using Syn 5w40 once i do the 50 hours service seeing how i'll be using it for snow removal in the winter. I think its the best all around choice you can make. Enjoy your ride !!!:drink:

/ Yanmar ex2900 oil dilemma
thanks for the replies. i emailed yanmar this morning as well...i'll let ya'll know what they say as well. thanks again

Here's what i emailed yanmar....
Hello...I have a 2011 EX2900. The manual calls for "CF or Higher" API oil rating. Is Shell Rotella T5 or T6 ok to use? The containers don't list CF, CF-2, or CF-4. They list CG-4, CH-4, CI-4, and CJ-4. Also, is it ok to start using synthetic at the first oil change at 50 hours or should I wait longer? thanks

Here's what i got back....
Thank you very much for asking your question to us.

CG, CH, and CI grade is higher than CF one. But we do not recommend to using the synthetic oil. We'd like you to contact your dealership and ask Yanmar genuine oil.

If you have any question, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
-----------

Customer Support Department
Yanmar America Corporation
Phone: 1-855-416-7091
Fax: (770) 877-7565

I've since emailed back asking why they don't recommend synthetic but it's been a couple days and i haven't heard anything. I'm wondering what the JD manuals say where the tractors have the same engine.

/ Yanmar ex2900 oil dilemma #6  
Since when did Yanmar start in the oil production business? I think we all know the answer to that one. I am wondering what oil they re-brand with the Yanmar name. I have contacted Yanmar and asked them if they could provide me with a cross reference of part numbers for the filters. They emailed back saying they do not provide that. I am interested as to why they do not recommend using synthetic oil. Post your response if you don't mind. What do you plan on using for the hyd/tranny fluid? I don't know if you know it or not but when they list an oil with a CF or higher rating and you look on the bottle and see the C followed by a letter higher then F that means the oil is rated higher. Same applies to the oils used for gas engines. Gas engine oils start with an S. Does your ex2900 come with a 3ntv88 in it?

yes, I know all that, however CJ-4 only supersedes CF-4, not CF or CF-2 according to API. Yes, the ex2900 has the 3ntv888 engine.. I am wondering if synthetic is ok at this point. Does Yanmar even sell a synthetic oil?

/ Yanmar ex2900 oil dilemma #8  
I have a 4tnv88 engine, my manual also says 10w-30 or 40, CF or higher. However, the dealer gave me Yanmar branded 15W-40 for my 50hr change, I mentioned the manual specification but 15W-40 was all they used or ever had.

Follow this link to see the same oil my dealer gave me: Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts

The bottle label says "Made in the USA" but does not give any other clues as to its origin of manufacture.

I heard back...they basically said that synthetic oil comes in many categories, and they can't evaluate each synthetic oil on it's compatibility with the engine. They also mentioned that in some areas, it contains a chemical that isn't approved in other areas.
I definitely appreciate their quick responses and information. We love our tractor and it's nice to know that customer service is willing to respond so quickly .While i don't completely understand why not to use synthetic, i guess i'll continue to use conventional. It's next to impossible to find 10w30 or 10w40 conventional though...15w40 is what's on the shelf everywhere.

/ Yanmar ex2900 oil dilemma #10  
Shell Rotella 10W30 conventional oil is diesel rated and not that hard to find.Very popular in these parts.An auot parts store will have it or can order it for you.Members here use it as well as myself.I've even heard of some Wal-Marts having it,or will order it in.10W30 is Kubota's factory fill!You will not find a 10W40 diesel oil.Goo0d Luck!