New ex2900 under 50 hours first mowing

/ New ex2900 under 50 hours first mowing #1  

PaBear

Tractor
2012 Yanmar ex2900
Just picked up a new ex2900 last week and my 3pt 60" finish mower arrived this weekend. Getting ready to do first mowing. From what I understand I should be operating at about 2600 engine rpm to get 540 pto rpm as called out for mower. When doing a quick test for height last night it seemed that the ex2900 was putting out a lot more exhaust than usual, is this normal? Also, what hydro range 1 or 2 would you recommend?

This is my first utility tractor, so input on this or any other suggestions are appreciated.

/ New ex2900 under 50 hours first mowing #2  
Welcome to TBN!

I'm not that familiar with the ex2900, but generally the lower speeds are reserved for pushing, pulling, or hills, I imagine you could mow with either range.

On the issue of exhaust, I would expect more at 2600rpm, but visible smoke is usually an issue of either too much fuel or too little air. Have you checked your air filters? Maybe a critter or bug got inside the air filter element housing and made itself a nest that is impeding air flow.

/ New ex2900 under 50 hours first mowing #3  
Yanmar website indicates mowing is done in 2nd. range of the 3 ranges available. If smoke continues, I would make a call to your dealer. Good luck.:thumbsup:

/ New ex2900 under 50 hours first mowing
Thanks much guys. I ended up doing most of the mowing in 2nd range, save where I was on the big hills that we have. Seemed to work quite well overall, especially once i got steel for how the finish mower was tracking.

The excessive exhaust also seemed to be gone as I'm now up to a little under 5 hours, perhaps it was just things seating into place, or buildup blowing out the other night. This was a leftover 2012 so i got some significant savings on a brand new tractor. It had only been previously run going in and out of storage at night from being displayed during the day and a few runs around the lot.

Very pleased with this "little" tractor thus far. It has been doing everything I've asked of it without seeming to strain. I've been doing some FEL work digging up groundhog mounds and smoothing the land after filling in holes, moved a ton of compost, tree stumps, and gravel for a shed pad.

So far this site has a lot of helpful info and I've been doing a lot of reading. Looking forward to many, many more hours of productive seat time.

/ New ex2900 under 50 hours first mowing #5  
Good luck with your tractor. Im curious because I am looking into a LX4100 and can't find any info yet

/ New ex2900 under 50 hours first mowing #6  
Just picked up a new ex2900 last week and my 3pt 60" finish mower arrived this weekend. Getting ready to do first mowing. From what I understand I should be operating at about 2600 engine rpm to get 540 pto rpm as called out for mower. When doing a quick test for height last night it seemed that the ex2900 was putting out a lot more exhaust than usual, is this normal? Also, what hydro range 1 or 2 would you recommend?

This is my first utility tractor, so input on this or any other suggestions are appreciated.

Welcome to the CCY club, I too am a first time owner. While i don't have a rear mower i do have a MMM. I would not run the tractor at that high of an rpm for a long period of time. Remember you are in the break in period. To give you an example i would need to run mine at about 2500 rpm for max pto power. I don't need max power to cut the grass the unit cuts perfectly fine at about 2000 rpm so no need to run it so high. If i was running into real thick stuff maybe i would kick it up some but i have yet to need to do that. So lower rpm lower blade speed on your mower. You will see by trial what your unit performs well at just play around with it. The way i see it, is i am using less fuel and taking it easy on the tractor. It also wouldn't hurt to change the rpm's around alittle during the break in period. As far as the exhuast i have not had a problem with that other then a puff at start up.
Have fun.

/ New ex2900 under 50 hours first mowing #7  
I was wondering if you store your tractor on a garage? I was trying to see if I could fit a Lx4100 in a 2 Car garage with a backhoe installed. I know the height is a issue but was wondering if I could lower it slightly along with the ROPS. I have about 17 ft depth to work with and that would leave me some room. With a FEL and Backhoe do you know the total length of your machine?

/ New ex2900 under 50 hours first mowing #8  
I was wondering if you store your tractor on a garage? I was trying to see if I could fit a Lx4100 in a 2 Car garage with a backhoe installed. I know the height is a issue but was wondering if I could lower it slightly along with the ROPS. I have about 17 ft depth to work with and that would leave me some room. With a FEL and Backhoe do you know the total length of your machine?

Hi Express,
I do not have the ability to store my tractor on my garage but i do store it in the garage.:laughing: I don't know the size of the LX4100 but the sx3100 is 12' from the front edge of the bucket to the 3pt arms. It might be tough to get it in 17' i would think you would have to rotate the backhoe to one side or the other. Maybe someone else could help out.

/ New ex2900 under 50 hours first mowing #9  
Sorry about that. Typing way too fast. I going to see if I can find one around my area and take some measurements. Thank you for your reply

/ New ex2900 under 50 hours first mowing #10  
I was wondering if you keep your LX4500 in a garage. I'm trying to find out if I can fit one in a two car garage. I have about 17 ft depth maybe a little more to work with and 84 inches height. If turn backhoe to the side and lower it I think I can get it to fit. Do know the length of your machine with the FEL? I didn't know if you had a backhoe Thank you