Cub Cadet/Yanmar SX3100 slipping out of 4WD unexpectantly

/ Cub Cadet/Yanmar SX3100 slipping out of 4WD unexpectantly #1  

gaheadrick

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1736
Has anyone else experienced this machine SX3100 slipping out of 4WD? My dealer has taken the tractor apart and replaced the old style spring to provide greater retention pressure on the detent mechanism and it helped somewhat but it has not solved the problem. I operate on a steep slope of 20 to 27 degrees and use 4wd when running a loaded FEF to provide safety and resistance downhill. When doing so the 4WD slips out of gear unexpectedly creating a significant safety problem. I just have to kick the lever down to re-engage 4wd quickly to avoid losing control. If anyone has knowledge of or experience with fixing this significant problem I would very much appreciate hearing about it. Meanwhile, the Yanmar service team will be visiting soon to see the problem for themselves. Hopefully, they will be able to propose a solution but to this point they say they are not aware of this issue and have had no other suggestions.

/ Cub Cadet/Yanmar SX3100 slipping out of 4WD unexpectantly #2  
160 hours on mine and zero problems so far. I moved over 40 yards of gravel last summer in my driveway with the fel and all was fine. I was going downhill most of the time but not as steep as yours. My 4wd light comes on while still in 2wd sometimes over bumps but it's just the light. Seems like the spring is just to loose. When the light comes on unexpectedly I just have to tap the lever back up and it goes back off. My dealer is 100 miles away or I would of had them replace it already. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Cub Cadet/Yanmar SX3100 slipping out of 4WD unexpectantly
Hi dslanec,
Good to know you have not had the same issues I've had with the 4WD function. Perhaps your slopes are not as great as mine so the load on the mechanism is different. Wishing you continued success. From my research on the net similar model years of this machine have had some history of this issue whether the machine. manufactured by Yanmar, is in the form of a Cub Cadet/Yanmar or John Deere 2520 and 2720 of the same year. As I understand it there was at least one, possibly other types of fixes for this machine coming out of gear unexpectedly. I have asked that Yanmar replace my model type with the newest model type of SX3100 which I'm told has a totally different transmission, slightly different 32hp engine, which would likely resolve the issue for me given my topography and use.

As to your 4WD light coming on without 4WD actually being engaged I think you can very simply slightly re-adjust the position of the light sensor switch located under the floor board so that the light will only come on when you are in gear. It consists of two small bolts and is easily located just forward of the shift lever arm. Maybe this will save you the hassle of shipping your machine for this simple adjustment. Good luck.

/ Cub Cadet/Yanmar SX3100 slipping out of 4WD unexpectantly #4  
Thanks for the info. I will take a look at that tommorow. Hope they resolve your issue to your satisfaction soon.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

Appreciate the link to some of the others having had or still having the same problem and your "welcome" to the club. Sorry you are still having this issue after all that has been published. This was good reading in addition to other links we found by "Googling" it. In those links John Deere had changed out the spring on the 4wd detent as one "fix" and another I think was the "bar" or "button". We had to share this with my dealer, who shared it with Yanmar such that they agreed to split the tractor a second time to "fix" it.

Given Yanmar makes the referenced John Deere and of course the Yanmar tractors I'm very surprised that the problem has not been a recall issue and solved by now. The safety aspect alone should be enough to get their resolve and final fix. It appears likely that they have a design issue both with the detent spring and the "bar" or "button" in the 4WD mechanism. In my case Yanmar did finally replace the original single spring with the dual "spring within a spring" and that definitely helped for a while until it started happening again. This time I was not able to engage 4wd by putting my foot down on the lever. The lever went to the floor, the 4wd light was on but no 4wd, just like some others. Maybe the problem this time is the bar or button or possibly some other design or machining issue. I'm under warranty and all I know is I want this issue resolved by Yanmar very soon and I'm waiting for their response on buying it out.

/ Cub Cadet/Yanmar SX3100 slipping out of 4WD unexpectantly #7  
Best of luck. My reality is that I need to keep on the flats. I now use my 2305 exclusively on the slopes. Just don't want that kind of aggravation or irritation.

Just to advise interested members regarding my 4WD issues and Yanmar buying me out, this has just been completed. I'm told that Yanmar will be shipping my machine back to Atlanta where it will be taken down and fully inspected by their engineers to determine why the 4WD slipped out of gear with a load on a steep slope. Hopefully they will be able to determine exactly what needs to be done to eliminate the problem from reoccurring.

/ Cub Cadet/Yanmar SX3100 slipping out of 4WD unexpectantly #9  
Sorry you won't have it to use and glad someone is listening to you!

/ Cub Cadet/Yanmar SX3100 slipping out of 4WD unexpectantly #10  
It sounds to me like you are satisfied with the action Yanmar has taken. So whats on the shopping list? Thanks for keeping us posted.