Beware Yellow Yanmar hydraulic fittings.

/ Beware Yellow Yanmar hydraulic fittings. #1  

Eyecatcher

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar EX450, Ford 8N/2N, Case 580C backhoe, Massey 185
I own a Cub Cadet Yanmar EX450. I've had hydraulic problems with the loader from day one. Yesterday I was trying to work in the garden, when my wife started yelling at me to stop. Had ruptured a power steering hose, and was liberally dousing maters with oil. I spent all day today, trying to replace that hose, and one male adapter fitting. Evidently at some point in time, I had hit something and bent the male adapter and damaged the hose. Took the fitting and the hose to the local NAPA shop, and he came up with the parts to replace it. Before he crimped the hose ends, he brought them out to the counter and demonstrated how they seemed to have a loose fit, but they did tighten down against the flare, so thought they would be OK. Like a dummy I agreed to that, and he went ahead and crimped the hose. $20.
Tried to install it, and no where close. Just could not screw the fittings on to the existing fittings on the tractor. (He had used JIC and a pipe thread male adapter) called the Yanmar dealer, they had no idea what was wrong. Having had much interface with Yanmar America Customer Service over the hydraulic problems, I called him. He said the dealer had just called him trying to find out what the fittings were, and had a call in to the engineers to find out what the fittings were. I had looked in the parts manual, and new what the part#'s were, gave them to him, and he said he could send them to the dealer who could sell them to me, if they were in stock at the factory, and I should have them in a few days.

Really! I'm setting here with an inoperable tractor and he's talking a few days? I don't think so. I got on Discount Hydraulics website, and after measuring everything,
figured out that the adapter was BSPP, that's British Standard Pipe Thread, that converted it over to Japanese JIS 30 degree flare. Called Yanmar America back and told him what I had learned. He did finally admit that they had now experienced similar problems to the ones I'm experiencing with my loader, but that's another story
Drove 55 miles to Daytona to Central Hydraulics, and it took them about 10 minutes to make up the correct hose and supply the proper male adapter. $54 and change,
but they had the stuff. So I've got seventy five bucks in a 14"x1/4" hose.

If you have a CC Yanmar be advise that you have the odd ball fittings. If you don't own one, BEWARE OF THE YELLOW YANMARS!!!

/ Beware Yellow Yanmar hydraulic fittings. #2  
Well, here's one you'll enjoy. Was using my toothbar bucket Saturday to back drag some manure/hay out of a stall, when this big POP happened. End of the top cylinder/rod ( curl ) came completely out of the case, resulting in a really droppy bucket. Threads/seal completely screwed up.

Attachments

• DSCN0206[1].JPG
    DSCN0206[1].JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 480
   / Beware Yellow Yanmar hydraulic fittings. #3  
Even though everyone does it -back dragging is hard even on heavy equipment. Do not know why It was something we were taught in class. I ran a crane so I kind of missed somethings

/ Beware Yellow Yanmar hydraulic fittings. #4  
Think of it this way. It takes 2500 PSI (lets say that is your rated pressure relief point) to lift your rated load then when you reach the desired lift point or angle of bucket the check valves close. And now the system is trying to prevent further fluid flow. now you place twice the rated load on the bucket cylinder and you raise the pressure to twice the relief pressure. I have wondered what protects the hoses in this situation. Something has to give. Is there a secondary popoff kind of device that lets go when you reach some higher load?

/ Beware Yellow Yanmar hydraulic fittings. #5  
I have often wondered how much trouble I would have getting fittings (being a Jap. tractor) when the need arises.
I should probably look into getting a couple.

I'm not surprised the fittings are difficult to find.
May be able to hit a Kubota or Deere dealer for something compatible.

edit:
On a side note I'm not sure why the OP is surprised the tractor doesn't use standard pipe threads.
And after my minor dealings with the local dealer I would be shocked if they could fix my hose on the spot.

One issue Yanmar needs to figure out is their poor dealer network. A lot of dealers dropped the line when Yanmar/cub split.
I know I'm not likely to buy another one because of this. Seems many of the dealers left are primarily lawn mower salesmen and have little interest
in spending the money to be well staffed/supplied.

Last edited:
   / Beware Yellow Yanmar hydraulic fittings. #6  
Sounds like most of the problem arose from the person at napa selling you the wrong fitting. Don't forget the bonded washer or o-ring with the BSPP

/ Beware Yellow Yanmar hydraulic fittings.
In my opinion, the original problem stems from Yanmar manufacturing a piece of equipment in this country that does not use components that embrace our usual engineering standards. Ifs your want to work in this country and have your kids educated at taxpayers (my) expense, learn to communicate in English.
If you are going to manufacture a product in this country, use components that are generic to this country.

/ Beware Yellow Yanmar hydraulic fittings. #8  
Not sure if this is relevant or not.
I had a sc2400 and punctured 2 of the hydraulic lines for my plow. I took all the parts to my local kubota dealer and they made me new ones on the spot and I was back up and running a hour after my punctures. The kubota dealer is handy because it is only 2 miles from my house.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Beware Yellow Yanmar hydraulic fittings. #9  
Think of it this way. It takes 2500 PSI (lets say that is your rated pressure relief point) to lift your rated load then when you reach the desired lift point or angle of bucket the check valves close. And now the system is trying to prevent further fluid flow. now you place twice the rated load on the bucket cylinder and you raise the pressure to twice the relief pressure. I have wondered what protects the hoses in this situation. Something has to give. Is there a secondary popoff kind of device that lets go when you reach some higher load?

Not from what I've experienced, maybe on some higher quality machines? I've blown out hydraulic hoses back dragging and hitting something more solid that peaked out the hydraulic pressure and the hose rating. Blew oil everywhere, thankfully in the other direction, it was scalding hot as well from working a few hours. Learned right then there is no relief for excessive "mechanical" pressure built, which makes sense as I saw nothing in my hydraulic diagram. Im actually glad it blew a hose before it ruined a cylinder seal or worse a loader valve seal. The hose was easy to fix.

/ Beware Yellow Yanmar hydraulic fittings. #10  
Your tractor wasn't manufactured in this country. It was made in japan. They use metric fittings, like the rest of the world. And the rest of the manufacturers that sell compact, utility and ag tractors in North America. Pick one, you'll find metric fittings on it somewhere. Rest of the world can handle it, North America just can't handle the metric system yet for some reason? I remember when we were supposed to switch back 20 years ago or so. I think it stuck for like a day.

Your dealer needs to keep some parts to support his products. And don't bother going to napa for tractor parts. Most of the time they can't get auto parts close to fitting around here.