Lx490 idle speed.

/ Lx490 idle speed. #1  

Raised on a Deere

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford Dexta, Branson 6530c Yanmar Lx490 Power reverser
Nothing in manual so I have been wondering if 1100 rpm is the correct idle speed. Every thing is fine but when ofc the tractor doing hookups and what not it just seems to be idling too fast. I havent been around any of the newer tractors to have a feel for what is right. Thanks

/ Lx490 idle speed.
Nothing in manual so I have been wondering if 1100 rpm is the correct idle speed. Every thing is fine but when ofc the tractor doing hookups and what not it just seems to be idling too fast. I havent been around any of the newer tractors to have a feel for what is right. Thanks

Surely someone with a Lx490 can tell me what their idle speed setting is. I am getting a shop manual for sure.

/ Lx490 idle speed. #3  
I can tell you mine idles at about 1200 rpm. yes its not a lx490 but it still is Yanmar powered.

/ Lx490 idle speed.
I can tell you mine idles at about 1200 rpm. yes its not a lx490 but it still is Yanmar powered.

Thanks. I wasn't too concerned but was constantly wondering. This tractor is extremely easy on fuel when just knocking around from this little chore to that. My first thought was that this bugger is going to eat fuel while idling like that. I wonder of that is a pollution thing or if the engine mechanically needs to idle that fast?

/ Lx490 idle speed. #5  
My little tractor idles in the 1,100 to 1,200 range.
The engine sounds about right to me.

/ Lx490 idle speed.
My little tractor idles in the 1,100 to 1,200 range.
The engine sounds about right to me.

LOL guess I have just been around too many long stroke and older tractors. The Dexta had a 3 cylinder perkins with a very long stroke, I bet that thing idles under 500rpm and refuses to stall with out a whopping fight. Could start off in road gear wit a load and it would buck and jump a bit but then keep on pulling.

The Branson Cummins 3.3 was idling around 7 or 8 hundred. Now I got this 1100RPM beautiful running tractor but completely different animal.

Anybody with the exact spec on this tractor please chime in but I am not doubting what others have already said. Just learning my tractor.

/ Lx490 idle speed. #7  
My LX4500 idles (as in throttle pulled all the way back) around 850 or so, I bump it up to 1200 after a cold start to warm it up. I'm wondering if the higher idle on the 490 has anything to do with tuning airflow through the turbo.

/ Lx490 idle speed.
My LX4500 idles (as in throttle pulled all the way back) around 850 or so, I bump it up to 1200 after a cold start to warm it up. I'm wondering if the higher idle on the 490 has anything to do with tuning airflow through the turbo.

Me too. I got a electronic shop manual from my dealer but it is not searchable. Just 900 pages to look through and sort out. They have all the engines in this one manual so it is a head swimmer to get to the nitty gritty about any one engine. I will keep looking. I found a section where it gives high idle speeds that occur before the coolant gets up to a certain temp but so far nothing on normal idle. Mine idled around 1500 for a few minutes (after a cold start) back when the weather was cold but now its 1100 all the time. Did find where on the tier 4 engines it is all electronically controlled.

850 sounds about right. I just need some Lx490 guy to pipe in and confirm or deny 1100 on his tractor to determine how motivated I become to chase this down. Thanks

/ Lx490 idle speed. #9  
I'm now wondering if you have a sticking throttle cable. With the throttle lever all the way back towards the operator seat, is there any tension on the cable stop from the fuel governor lever? There shouldn't be any tension on that cable at idle.

/ Lx490 idle speed.
I'm now wondering if you have a sticking throttle cable. With the throttle lever all the way back towards the operator seat, is there any tension on the cable stop from the fuel governor lever? There shouldn't be any tension on that cable at idle.

Going to farm for a week this Fri. I will look it over. Also while there i want to do a little skid plate work so I can relax going through brush. Need to round up some angle iron and other stuff and corner my son for some free welding.

Idle speed will be studied more before I involve dealer.