Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Yanmar 221

Default Re: My New Yanmar 221

The 221 has been really good for the most part. For me, it has been a time of learning and getting used to a new machine. The engine runs smoothly and has plenty of power for my needs.
    I have had a few issues with an oil leak out of the mid mount pto. The dealer is not sure of why this keeps happening. I think some stubble when I was doing some brush hogging is the culprit. The MM PTO is really low to the ground.
    The Mid Mount Mower can be a bitch to attach to the tractor. The actual connecting is easy but the mower is a bit cumbersome to move into position. I think the wheels on the back of the deck need to be castors like on the front. The rubber wheels are hard to slide on the cement. I also have read the MMM manual and there is no section in the book on how to connect the deck to the tractor. I have told my dealer and contacted Yanmar about this. Another issue with the MMM is I wish there was a height adjusting knob on the tractor to better control the height of cut. The mower does a great job of mowing and discharging the grass.
    I also had a quick hitch installed so hooking up my cutter and box blade is easier.
    Over all the 221 is a really nice tractor. I really enjoy using it. Like I said earlier it has been a learning curve for me. It's surely different the Cub Cadet I had for over 10 years.
    2014 Yanmar 221 with 60" MMM and Landpride RCR1548

Tractor
    Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//CAT 312B//Komatsu D38

Mike -

Same issues with the older Sc's...and probably every SCUT. Have to lift up the front end to slide the deck underneath....and not easy to move....and hooking up the PTO shaft is a B___tch with no room to get in there. The newer drive-over decks alleviate some of the issue, but you're probably paying extra for the luxury......

Glad U like it!

Tractor
    Yanmar 221

Hi Frank,

Well, I am glad that I am not alone then! I have more trouble hooking up the front of the mower to the tractor than I do the PTO. It's more of not getting the front in the correct position. I took me an hour and a quick trip to the dealer the get it back on. I was doing it wrong. The manual to the MMM was useless as it does not have the procedure in the book. I know how to do it now.
    What has been real fun is connecting the bush hog. The shield on the rear pto and the guard on the drive shaft to the bush hog and the lack of room makes it hard to connect because I can't see what I am doing. I am getting better though!
    Now, I wish the money fairy would bring me a wad of cash so I can get so more attachments!

Tractor
    Mahindra Max 28XL, HST, TLB

Is there a drive-over deck option for the 221 ?
    “Do It Right The First Time"
    Purchased Mahindra Max28XL (43 hrs), HST, TLB

Sold the SC2450.

Tractor
    Yanmar 221

I don't think there is. It would be great if they did. This deck is a pain to move. I would be happy if the rear wheels on the deck were casters like the front. Then it could just be rolled out.

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12