My New Yanmar 221

/ My New Yanmar 221 #21  
Greetings again Jakes green building,

Your opinion just didn't seem right to not have an appropriate audience . . . so I thought I'd pass it on to Harvey for his perspective. That way what you're telling them and what you're telling us agree :)

Thanks! If you look at google reviews it looks like others have had the same experience lately. My last run in for parts was good. Actually got Harvey! Break down this time was my fault. Caught a stump in a pine plantation.

I have since stopped using the mid mount mower due to poor mow quality (lots of scalping) and poor quality. Always loosing parts. Bought a different mower. I added a 60" brush mower and 48" tiller to the tractor. Now I have a use for it but it mostly sits in the shed. Good tractor, poor Mid Mount mower. If I knew I was only getting a tractor I would have bought a larger model. Bought the Yanmar 221 so I could fit in tighter places mowing. :(

/ My New Yanmar 221
I moved the deck wheels to the next higher position. This seems to help with the scalping.

/ My New Yanmar 221 #23  
I moved the deck wheels to the next higher position. This seems to help with the scalping.

Exactly correct . . If the rollers and wheels are properly set for height, you can't scalp a lawn with a mmm deck unless the ground is heavily washboarded and even then it would be minimal scalping. In addition . . An uneven cut is an indication the blades or blade shafts are bent or not balanced properly . . . Or . . The deck is not leveled properly front to back or left to right or both.

/ My New Yanmar 221 #24  
My wife is ready for a new large garden tractor. We looked at a Yanmar 221 and are giving it some thought.

Use would be finish mowing 5 acres and some small garden/landscaping chores and maintenance.

We also know of an 80 hour Yanmar sc2400 available.

Any opinions on the capabilities of these two machines. Is the 221 a decontented version of the sc2400?

Do the additional features of the sc2400 make it more of a real tractor as opposed to the 221 being more of a large garden tractor?

The 221 does not have a two speed hydro. A concern? Also, no differential lock.

/ My New Yanmar 221 #25  
The 221 does have a few differences from the sc2400......
It has the side by side pedal design versus the treadle pedal of the sc......and it has the Yanmar quick hitch whereas the sc does not.
The bigger differences in my opinion is the lack of the 2 ranges, and the diff lock. If you're using this as more of a tractor to dig, or load/move material, I would consider it a very important attribute. Coupled with the shift on the fly of the sc, it makes the decision easy.....for me.
I must say I am biased as I own the sc2400...lol.
Good luck shopping!

/ My New Yanmar 221 #26  
Forgot to add the 221 has 21.5 hp versus the 24 for the sc.
And, given your uses, you might very well get by with the 221.
Perhaps look the both over, drive them extensively, use the loader, and see which one both of you like better.

/ My New Yanmar 221 #28  
Shift on the fly is the ability to shift from lo range to hi range or hi to lo while moving.......instead of having to stop the tractor to shift ranges. It is a highly valued asset when shuttling material.

/ My New Yanmar 221 #29  
Looks like the sa221 loader lift capacity is less than the sc2400 also.

Why would Yanmar decontent this sa221 so much?

/ My New Yanmar 221 #30  
$$$$.
The 221 is the lowest cost machine in Yanmars new lineup.....221, 324, and 424.