Stuck in front wheel assist.

/ Stuck in front wheel assist. #1  

Eyecatcher

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar EX450, Ford 8N/2N, Case 580C backhoe, Massey 185
EX450, finished rototilling yesterday, and tried to disengage FWA. Won't budge. Is this another CCY problem? Anybody else run into this?

/ Stuck in front wheel assist. #2  
Have you tried reversing while trying to disengage? Another way (if you have an FEL) is to just raise the front wheels off the ground and then try to disengage the FWD. You could also gently rock the HST pedal back and forth but not enough to spin the rear tires.
It should disengage when reversing because the fronts turn a little faster than the rears, there is always as bit of tension on them. Reversing removes this tension, but if you reverse too much without trying to disengage, you will put reverse tension on the front so keep tension on the 4 WD lever when doing any of the above.

/ Stuck in front wheel assist. #3  
Do you have a FEL? If so, use it to lift the front wheels off the ground and then see if you can't easily disengage the FWA. If you do not have a FEL, you might try backing up a bit and then try to disengage the FWA. In other words, they sometimes get in a "bind" situation that you need to relieve. Of course, you could also use a jack to lift the front wheels off the ground.

/ Stuck in front wheel assist. #4  
Dang, Gary, you must have typed faster than I did.:laughing:

/ Stuck in front wheel assist. #5  
It has sometimes happened to me, likes others say, don't force the lever, just try to relieve tension on the drive-line either by reversing or go forward a short distance, move to a more level spot, etc. I've never had to lift the front wheels, but I see the merit in that.

/ Stuck in front wheel assist. #6  
EX450, finished rototilling yesterday, and tried to disengage FWA. Won't budge. Is this another CCY problem? Anybody else run into this?

Please reply the results if this works, the other EX450 owners would like to know . Also, if it doesn't work what you did to get it fixed.

/ Stuck in front wheel assist. #7  
Have you tried reversing while trying to disengage? Another way (if you have an FEL) is to just raise the front wheels off the ground and then try to disengage the FWD. You could also gently rock the HST pedal back and forth but not enough to spin the rear tires.
It should disengage when reversing because the fronts turn a little faster than the rears, there is always as bit of tension on them. Reversing removes this tension, but if you reverse too much without trying to disengage, you will put reverse tension on the front so keep tension on the 4 WD lever when doing any of the above.

My favorite way to come out of 4wd is, while moving, to steer into a sharp turn while holding firm pressure on the 4wd lever. At some point in the turn as the turn radius decreases, (turn gets tighter) the front wheels and the rear wheels will each be covering the distance they are ratioed to cover. This is based on the fact that in a turn the front wheels travel a larger circle. That is the reason for the difference in ratio --- to help the steering in a turn. Otherwise it would fight the turn. once you come to understand the mechanics of the 4wd you can do it on the fly, in and out. Never in a pull or when spinning of course but while freely rolling just steer the right amount and pull the lever in or out being sure it goes all the way in or all the way out.

I do this same thing on my truck. Whenever it gets into a bind just weave it a bit and out it comes.

BTW did yours unstuck yet.

/ Stuck in front wheel assist.
Let it st a couple of days, and it worked pretty good, still takes quite a bit of pressure to shift out. Left in 4 wheel overnight, I'll check it again today, maybe it was just a fluke. (Ihope)

/ Stuck in front wheel assist. #9  
Let it st a couple of days, and it worked pretty good, still takes quite a bit of pressure to shift out. Left in 4 wheel overnight, I'll check it again today, maybe it was just a fluke. (Ihope)

It will never be just a slip in and out like the range lever or other transmission gears where there is a clutch that disconnects the driving force from the driven force. Once four wheel drive has been engaged and the tractor has moved there will usually be some pressure or tension in the drive train all depending on the terrain and what size turn you are in. Straight ahead puts constant load because the front wheels are ratioed so that they try to cover more ground than the rear wheels as has already been mentioned. Often when you stop, the tractor will roll backwards a bit because of this pressure and the ground conditions and it will be easy to shift out of 4 wheel drive easy just as expected. But if it does not roll back and/or if the wheels are not on something slick it will be loaded to the gills and will not come out. Most people just rock the tractor back and forth while pulling on the lever and it comes out because at some point in the rocking motions slack develops in the gear train. My favorite way of course as mentioned is to just keep driving and place the tractor into a steepening turn until the pressure eases and the lever moves freely out of 4wd.

I said all this to just say it is often going to be tight or impossible to shift out or in until you set up proper conditions. If you truly have a bind you can discover that by jacking up any wheel to eliminate drive train tension and then check for how the mechanism behaves while engaging and disengaging. Many people who do not grasp the properties I discussed above have damaged the shifting mechanism by forcing it while in a bind. Learn how to relieve the bind and never even attempt force. There is no need for force, ever unless it has already been damaged by prior improper use of force.

Hope this helps.