What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #1  

Raised on a Deere

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford Dexta, Branson 6530c Yanmar Lx490 Power reverser
My Lx490 tractor is in Kentucky and I have no winter experience with it yet. It rarely goes much below zero but plenty of days in the teens. My tractor has no block heater of any kind but my 2003 Cummins starts unaided to well below zero. My 1994 dodge cummins had a direct injection more like what the Yanmar appears to have. The older dodge would start at zero but it has two huge batteries and they better be top of their charge.

What can I expect from the Yanmar. If one of those cold snap blizzards shows up like a few I have experienced in the past I will need the tractor for snow clearing and perhaps helping a neighbor move some firewood.

The battery looks a bit small. Should I get a stronger battery or is a block heater of some kind needed. I keep a battery minder hooked up when I am away in Alabama.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #2  
   / What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #3  
Use a block heater. Reduces stress and wear on all components.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #4  
My JD Yanmar has a pretty big battery for the little engine. I have never had an issue starting it even when cold. My JD Yanmar has an intake manifold heater that works when you turn and hold the key one direction.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #5  
And resist the urge to use starter fluid. My tractor has a theromstart unit on it. I put the throttle to full fuel position, hold down the thermostart button for 10 seconds to heat up the coil. Then crank the tractor, that pumps diesel into the thermostart unit that basicaly sprays burning fuel into the intake heating the incoming air. I usualy only hold it for 5 seconds onto the cranking as it draws power away from the starter. So far it always starts without any issues. If you dont have this kind of set up, it can be added. I know my Yanmar GT14 and YM135 both had block heaters installed, and the old 135 had the thermostart set up, which was dead. But as long as the block heater was on for an hour or two prior to use all was good. Mike

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection
If it starts at -5 then I am in good shape. I will not be starting it many times under those conditions, and so I will just take it nice and slow on the warm up. That thermostart thing sounds interesting. Sounds like something that says you are going to start whether you want to or not. WOW flaming fuel on the intake. The Lx490 has a intake heater but that in itself says little. The Dexta has a intake heater that does next to nothing as far as helping the beast to start. It has never been a good starting tractor below 35 deg so I installed a block heater which worked well.

I like block heaters because of what has been mentioned and elect to have one when given a chance and feel somewhat naked without one.

On a side note, are optima batteries better suited to intermittent use? My tractors are subject to sitting for a couple of months and then getting a wake up to work every day for a couple of weeks. Especially in the winter it could easily be two months. so I use a battery minder but just wondering about the optima in that situation.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #7  
Are block heaters a standard size? Thanks

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #8  
Most newer 3 and 4 cylinder Yanmar engines have a One-Inch NPT plug that will fit a block heater. Some, like the SC2400, use a bolt-on block heater. This thread covers both types: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/258437-4tnv88-block-heater.html

Optimas are supposed to be better for intermittent use, but quality has been hit-or-miss since the company moved production to Mexico. I use an Optima Red top because I was running a 12V snow plow hydraulic motor off it and wanted the extra amp capacity. I think if you are using a battery tender then save your money and continue using the Yanmar OEM battery.

I own a 2.5 ton surplus Army truck that uses a flame heater in the air intake, my understanding is its not much more then a spark plug that ignites diesel fuel. The "spark plug" may require cleaning or replacing if not working properly. The military later switched to ether injection for cold starting their diesel trucks.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #9  
Any body that regularly uses ether instead of regularly using a block heater need to be pummeled on the head with that can of ether.
The engine shop my Father-inlaw works at would have either closed or laid off most of it's staff if people quit using ether.
A 1500 or 2000W tank heater would heat the engine in 20-30 minutes.
An engine block immersion heater is lower wattage and can be left plugged in all night. Or set to a timer to operate 1 to 4 fours prior to startup.
Phillips & Temro - Literature
With the exception of the 3TN66,3TN72 which uses a flat plate and a 400W heater #3500001. The rest of the Yanmars use a 1" NPT which gives a choice of 150W which is rather small and a recommended 400w. Part # 3100003,
Once you use a block heater you will wonder why some operators fool around with pull chains, torches, blankets, jumper cables, ether etc.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #10  
Thanks for the quick responses on block heaters.