Antifreeze capacity

/ Antifreeze capacity #1  

dslanec

Silver Member
Tractor
CUB/YANMAR SX 3100
I have an sx3100. The cooling capacity shows 2.1 quarts? Can anyone confirm this? This seems very low to me. I just wanna make sure I have enough when I change it out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Antifreeze capacity #2  
Here's my suggestion, buy yourself a couple gallons of distilled water which is inexpensive at Walmart. Drain the coolant and refill with distilled water to confirm the capacity. Running the engine a bit on distilled water will also help flush the old coolant out the system. Once you're sure of the capacity, purchase the correct amount of new antifreeze and repeat the drain/fill process.

Also FYI - Zerex G-05 meets Yanmar coolant spec, you can buy it NAPA.
https://valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/42

/ Antifreeze capacity
Well turns out it holds 1 gallon. I used shell rotella extended life that I got from tractor supply. Here is a link. Shell Rotella ELC Antifreeze, 1 gal. - Tractor Supply Co. Is this product ok to use? Also it is full strength so I had to mix is with water. Here is my concern. On the jug it said mix with distiled water or tap water. I used tap water which is from my well. In the manual I just read that is says use distiled water. Should I drain it again and refill with a distiled water mixture? I have enough anti freeze to redo this and I want to make sure I didn't mess up. Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet not sure why but the link doesn't work?

Shell Rotella ELC Antifreeze, 1 gal. - Tractor Supply Co.

/ Antifreeze capacity #4  
The Shell Rotella ELC looks like a pretty good coolant, no worries there!

Using distilled water is preferred because it is free of the impurities you would find in tap/well water. I have well water too, hard water, and my faucet screens and shower nozzles eventually clog up with calcium deposits and have to be cleaned or replaced. The same calcium build up would occur inside my radiator and engine and if I didn't use distilled water, and degrade the efficiency of the cooling system, so I would definately recommend mixing distilled water over well water.

/ Antifreeze capacity
The Shell Rotella ELC looks like a pretty good coolant, no worries there! Using distilled water is preferred because it is free of the impurities you would find in tap/well water. I have well water too, hard water, and my faucet screens and shower nozzles eventually clog up with calcium deposits and have to be cleaned or replaced. The same calcium build up would occur inside my radiator and engine and if I didn't use distilled water, and degrade the efficiency of the cooling system, so I would definately recommend mixing distilled water over well water.

Thank you for the info. I think I will change it out tomorrow. For the short time it takes I'll feel better knowing it's done right.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Antifreeze capacity #6  
The Shell Rotella ELC looks like a pretty good coolant, no worries there!

Using distilled water is preferred because it is free of the impurities you would find in tap/well water. I have well water too, hard water, and my faucet screens and shower nozzles eventually clog up with calcium deposits and have to be cleaned or replaced. The same calcium build up would occur inside my radiator and engine and if I didn't use distilled water, and degrade the efficiency of the cooling system, so I would definately recommend mixing distilled water over well water.

The same calcium build will not occur . . because you are running thousands of gallons of water to produce the build up . . whereas you're only running 1/2 the radiator capacity of water and merely flowing it over and over.

In addition, good antifreeze contains lubrication for the system which keeps calcium from depositing.

Now filtering the tap water to prevent sand, casing rust, or tiny rocks is still needed. Taking the brand new antifreeze back out is more harmful to the environment than a small amount of tap water building calcium deposits in the tractor.

/ Antifreeze capacity #7  
What Kathadin said applies but the main purpose of distilled is to make sure you do not upset the electrolyte aspects of the antifreeze. the slightest galvanic action will cause holes in the thin radiator tubing. There needs to be no minerals in the water you use in order for the antifreeze to do what it was designed to do with regard to electrolysis.