LX4100 Neutral switch

/ LX4100 Neutral switch #1  

MAM63

Tractor
Yanmar LX4100
I have a LX4100 (HST) and pulled the wires off the neutral switch while brush hogging. I have jumpered the harness and tractor shows neutral and runs fine. An ohm meter indicates that the neutral switch is not closing in neutral. Does anyone know if I need to drain the hydrostatic trans to change the switch? It is just threaded into the side of the trans. I looked online at a JD neutral switch for HST and it looks like it is just a short insert with a ball in it which likely rides against something that is detented to push the ball in and out.

/ LX4100 Neutral switch #2  
I haven't personally done this job, but I've tapped into the hydraulic system to install the remote kit. I don't think its necessary to drain the system, you may loose a few ounces of fluid, Just have the new switch ready to install and a pan handy to catch any drips. Top the fluid off when done.

/ LX4100 Neutral switch
Thanks for the advice. I don't suppose I could loose very much fluid if I have the new one ready. I still need to order the new one.

/ LX4100 Neutral switch #4  
No need to drain the tranny. Unless you need to do a service and have extra TF500 fluid laying around. Just remove the switch and put the new one in. Tighten to 19.91 Ft/lbs

You should check for continuity of the switch when you pull it out of the Transmission to make sure the switch is bad, push on the ball with you finger to close the switch.

Cheers,

Yard

/ LX4100 Neutral switch
Thanks for the info. I changed the switch and did not see any fluid. I believe the switch is located above the fluid level. My new switch is working fine. I put a block heater in while I was at it and followed the recommendations and comments from others on the forum who had done it. I only lost about a pint of coolant. Got some "red" coolant from the Yanmar dealer (for an arm and a leg) and topped the coolant off. Should be good for winter.

/ LX4100 Neutral switch #6  
I have covered several situations like this, where there was concern with loss of fluid and usually could put one wheel or the other in a ditch to tilt tractor and that minimized or eliminated any fluid loss, but you can rehearse your moves and do the job quickly even from the bottom and loose a minimum of fluid. Just gotta be brave. I had one situation where I miscalculated the moves to reinstall the plug and lost a bunch. Oh well .... but I usually win.