LX410 Shuttle shift WON'T shift.

/ LX410 Shuttle shift WON'T shift. #1  

TnAndy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX410...IHI 35J excavator Woodmizer LT40
Went to do something with the tractor, put the shuttle lever in reverse, and it wouldn't come out....finally managed to get it into neutral....was scared to shut it off in reverse thinking it wouldn't start again.

Pulled the panel off under the steering wheel to look at the linkage, couldn't see anything wrong with it. It goes from an arm to a cable that runs back under the floorboard on the left side. Got underneath, got the wife in the seat to jiggle the shift lever so I could see what the cable connected to on the underside.

It runs about mid way back, (about under the range selection lever above) and connects to a rod that then does a 180 and runs back forward. The rod connects to a lever arm going into the case of the tractor, just about under the steering wheel area. Kinda complicated linkage to get to the arm that goes in the case.

Couldn't find anything loose or looking out of adjustment, when I finally spied the problem. Small piece of gravel was jammed between the lever arm coming out of the case, and the case itself. Long screwdriver and hammer, drove out the offfending stone, and everything back to normal.

/ LX410 Shuttle shift WON'T shift. #2  
Went to do something with the tractor, put the shuttle lever in reverse, and it wouldn't come out....finally managed to get it into neutral....was scared to shut it off in reverse thinking it wouldn't start again.

Pulled the panel off under the steering wheel to look at the linkage, couldn't see anything wrong with it. It goes from an arm to a cable that runs back under the floorboard on the left side. Got underneath, got the wife in the seat to jiggle the shift lever so I could see what the cable connected to on the underside.

It runs about mid way back, (about under the range selection lever above) and connects to a rod that then does a 180 and runs back forward. The rod connects to a lever arm going into the case of the tractor, just about under the steering wheel area. Kinda complicated linkage to get to the arm that goes in the case.

Couldn't find anything loose or looking out of adjustment, when I finally spied the problem. Small piece of gravel was jammed between the lever arm coming out of the case, and the case itself. Long screwdriver and hammer, drove out the offfending stone, and everything back to normal.

I found mine slightly out of adjustment by checking it after thinking this thing is just not as nice handling as I remember it being. Adjusting the linkage to make the control lever detent position exactly match up with the detents in the transmission got it back to nice. It was only a small amount of adjustment change but worth the effort.

/ LX410 Shuttle shift WON'T shift.
Did you adjust the cable end under the steering wheel, or at the far end of the cable where it joins the rod....I see adjustment points at both.

/ LX410 Shuttle shift WON'T shift. #4  
I seem to recall tweaking both ends. I just made sure to observe no running out of travel in each direction. I am 300 miles away from tractor at the moment. You can pretty well see what needs to happen while watching movement as you work the lever. Trust your instincts.

/ LX410 Shuttle shift WON'T shift. #5  
Andy,
As I was reading the description of your problem I kept thinking this won't be an easy fix. Glad it wasn't a big deal.
NH

/ LX410 Shuttle shift WON'T shift.
No, easy fix. Took longer to spot the gravel piece than to knock it out of where it was wedged. That's why I posted this....could easily happen to another owner.