Yanmar 424 Backhoe Opinions?

/ Yanmar 424 Backhoe Opinions? #1  

VeRV77

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 424 TLB
Hi folks, just got a quote from my local dealer and I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on a 424 TLB. I've previously posted some photos of the one I looked at here in another thread. Some have commented that the BH looks too small for the tractor, with too little reach. Can anyone can speak from experience using this machine about how the BH performs, how they've used it, and whether the size is really a weak point in practice? Thanks in advance!

/ Yanmar 424 Backhoe Opinions? #2  
Hi!

I don't have experience with that setup. But, I did have a 7.5' hoe on a larger Deere.

I wouldn't shy away from it. First, you are in North Carolina. Of course, New Englanders think you would be crazy with it - they frequently require much deeper depths that you should need.

The other thing is the time required moving the tractor on long runs. But that really isn't that often. Mine WAS a two seat setup. If you ARE going to do much long trenching, you might get tired of spinning the seat.

YMMV

/ Yanmar 424 Backhoe Opinions?
Good point about the seat Rockyridge, I had not thought about that!

/ Yanmar 424 Backhoe Opinions? #5  
The seat setup is slick on the 424 and the backhoe is a beast. Contractors are buying them up our way because they are a good machine. And the backhoe pops off with 2 pins! And you have excellent ground clearance for that size machine

Thanks blueredboy, I bet the overall robustness of the tractor is a big reason contractors are buying them. That's something that impressed me about the 424. Curious, what activities or observations made you say the BH is a beast?

/ Yanmar 424 Backhoe Opinions? #7  
It is hooked up closer to the rear axle which is cast iron and gets some better digging angles than a tractor with a 3 point or subframe backhoe.

Good point, the manner in which the BH attaches is a big deal for me. I would never, ever buy a 3-point BH. Lots of folks on TBN talk about them breaking tractors in half - well let me tell you I've seen it with my own eyes. My uncle in middle-of-nowhere California has a Kubota L2800 and did a lot of digging with an aftermarket 3-point BH. Suddenly one day, he was doing some light FEL work and BAM, the tractor slumped and the chassis literally broke in half. Boy was he upset. He's got a full shop and every tool under the sun, so he ended up buying a new chassis and re-building the tractor himself. After the re-build, he sprung for a proper OEM BH from Kubota, which I believe is a 4-point/2-pin mount to the frame like the Yanmar 424. The BH mount on the 424 is what got me interested. I was looking at an LS XJ2025h before.

/ Yanmar 424 Backhoe Opinions? #9  
I have a 424TLB that I bought about 2 months ago. I have about 40 hours on it and have been really happy so far. Not sure what your intended uses are but for what I bought it for, it could not have worked better. I am installing irrigation, electrical, and fixing some leach lines (I got a little crazy with the backhoe) ;). My only issue may be having to flip the seat around but once you get the hang of it, its easy. Also removing the backhoe and reinstalling it takes a few times to figure out but them it is easy. Truthfully this tractor has been amazing and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone. let me know if you have any questions. the only thing that sucks about owning a Yanmar is explaining who Yanmar is and how they have been around for a long time and have a history in the USA.

Thanks Jaypeesi, I think I'll be doing things along those lines, in addition to a lot of stump removal. Everything from little 4" saplings to some big trees, maybe a couple 18" in diameter. I've got about 2 acres, lots of clearing and landscaping, a little construction, tilling, planting, etc.

Really glad you are enjoying the 424. It seems like a fantastic machine, my only concern was the BH. I kind of like the fact that nobody knows about yanmar. I discovered the brand through a random YouTube video about one of their construction backhoes.