Home Depot and Yanmar

/ Home Depot and Yanmar #1  

dbracht

Tractor
Yanmar 424
I was walking up to a Home Depot store in Eagle, Idaho this last weekend. I spotted a Yanmar 424 on a trailer parked in their tool rental yard. I looked it over and it looked brand new. Had the backhoe option attached. For what its worth should be a plus for Yanmar if the Depot stores are buying Yanmar.

/ Home Depot and Yanmar #3  
I took delivery of a 424 last year, with the backhoe. It's been an absolute beast. I'm not surprised Home Depot is using them given how tough they're built. That said, you'd think HD would choose one of the ORANGE tractor brands though, wouldn't you?? :confused2:

/ Home Depot and Yanmar #4  
I took delivery of a 424 last year, with the backhoe. It's been an absolute beast. I'm not surprised Home Depot is using them given how tough they're built. That said, you'd think HD would choose one of the ORANGE tractor brands though, wouldn't you?? :confused2:

Not necessarily, I can't imagine customers pay higher rent for any color so revenue doesn't change based on brand. Therefore Home Depot needs to keep the costs down to be profitable. So the analysis is cost to buy (with depreciation) and cost to maintain. I kind of just did this analysis for my SA424 purchase and the closest I can get the comparable Kubota was $1,800 more than the 424. And in this category I liked the Yanmar better so my risk is the dealer network and the factory support for $1,800. I got very comfortable with both my current dealer and the dealer where I am most likely going to move. Also, I doubt the HD staff drove all the options but the 424 cockpit ergonomics are better than the competition right now so the 424 is marginally easier to drive and control. Long story getting longer Home Depot is a world leader in supply chain management and strategic sourcing. Perhaps HD was looking to drive down the costs by volume purchasing and Yanmar was looking to get these tractors in consumers hands and provided HD with a deep discount, great products sell themselves.

/ Home Depot and Yanmar #5  
My closest HD has B26 TLB for $299 a day.

/ Home Depot and Yanmar #6  
Well, it was more of a joke about Home Depot's "Orange" brand. I did a similar analysis and came up with a similar price difference. Plus, like you I just liked the features and ergonomics of the Yanmar. Maybe a 3-range HST would have been nice, but otherwise I have no complaints - I love this machine. Did you get the backhoe option on yours?

/ Home Depot and Yanmar #7  
no backhoe yet, thinking more posthole digger in the near future. I bought the better YC480 rotary cutter for my pasture, Christmas trees, and next to the roads. Letting my wife get used to the total idea of the tractor before adding the $3,000 ish backhoe.

/ Home Depot and Yanmar #8  
no backhoe yet, thinking more posthole digger in the near future. I bought the better YC480 rotary cutter for my pasture, Christmas trees, and next to the roads. Letting my wife get used to the total idea of the tractor before adding the $3,000 ish backhoe.

My wife wants lights at the end of the property (trenches, conduit) and walkways where there are currently stumps, so I was able to convince her about the backhoe. When I first said, Honey we need a tractor, she said "no we don't". My how things have changed in a year, now that she's seen what it can do, and how much it costs to pay third parties.

A little tip on the backhoe - Around Q3 of 2017, Yanmar made a switch in backhoe suppliers. They were previously using Ameriquip, a company that makes BHs branded for other companies, like John Deere, Mahindra, and Kioti I believe. Nothing wrong with those BHs per se, but Yanmar started sourcing the new ones from Woods Equipment and they're better; 2800 lbs of bucket force, vs. roughly 2000. I didn't know any of this until my 424 arrived with a slightly different backhoe than the one I saw on the dealer lot, so naturally I started asking questions and doing research. I lucked out! If I were buying a 424 BH anytime soon, I'd insist they're giving me the Woods model, and not the Ameriquip (in case they're flushing out any old stock). You can actually tell the difference in these BHs quickly by looking at the stabilizers: the Woods model (identical to their "Groundbreaker BH65") has stabilizer pads that flip, allowing a "spiked" double-tooth contact to be used on soft ground. The Ameriquip BH has flatter, one-sided feet only, and the stabilizer arms angle backwards slightly, away from the rear tires if you're looking down on them.

Kudos to Yanmar for upping the strength and features of the BH, at the same price. Woods makes nice stuff.

/ Home Depot and Yanmar #9  
Was at my local HD last week and they still had all 'orange' tractors. Went by yesterday and they had a new 454 TLB ready for rent. I wish there was a Yanmar dealer here.. I definately would have bought one. Strong looking machine!