Yt347/359 B90 backhoe

/ Yt347/359 B90 backhoe #1  

raybender

Tractor
Yanmar YT359 ROPS
Can anyone share their experience with the B90 backhoe that goes on the YT347 and YT359?
I have found very little on the internet. I believe it is made by Woods, and my dealer (who had yet to install one) indicates it mounts on a subframe installed with the power beyond hydraulics.

I have a YT359 on order. I did not buy the backhoe with the tractor due to cash flow, but am planning on getting one next year.
I plan on using it for trench work around the buildings and a lot of ditch work in hedge rows of my 45 acres of hay fields.

Any impressions would be welcome.
Specific questions:
Price paid? (my dealer is quoting ~$11k)
Does the backhoe feel solidly attached?
How difficult is it to attach/detach?
How have you used it?
Does it meet your expectations?

/ Yt347/359 B90 backhoe #2  
I have some input. The backhoe IS a Woods. It is attached via a sub-frame unit, NOT by the three point. It IS run by the tractor hydraulics. I looked at a new tractor a few months ago with the backhoe already on it. It appears to be a solid unit. I did not play with it in a field though, so I do not know how easy it is to mount and dis-mount.

The Braddco backhoe has a little more power than the Woods. So if you do buy later take a look at theirs. I hope that helps. Bruce

/ Yt347/359 B90 backhoe #3  
The Braddco backhoe has a little more power than the Woods. So if you do buy later take a look at theirs. I hope that helps. Bruce

Good advice, with a caveat. Just research carefully to make sure that there really would be additional power.

And, consider renting a backhoe. They often are under utilized.

/ Yt347/359 B90 backhoe #4  
I have the B90 for my 59c. I will have to look up price paid, I think somewhere between $9-10k but I am not certain. The attachement is very solid, and the tolerances are tight enough to make it difficult to attach/remove. I my opinion the difficulty is worth the benefit of the solid attachment. I use it to dig out rocks, stumps, trench and clear land if need be. The last time I used it was to break up a frozen gravel pile and spread it out.

I had extensive experience with the previous yanmar model when I had a LX490. This model is a significant improvement in function and ergonomics. One notable improvement is the ability to adjust hydrolic flow to speed up or slow down movements.

Happy to answer more questions if you have them.

/ Yt347/359 B90 backhoe #5  
I used the B90 on the 47 to dig out a pretty good sized stump. Worked fine. I think it is comparable to my B85 which is rated at a lower dipperstick force (amerequip make). I didn't notice any mind blowing improvements. The bucket on the B90 is of thinner gauge metal than the B85, and the B90 has larger/sturdier stabilizing arms (you can see a little flex in the B85). overall my experience with the B90 is fine. The backhoe mounts are very solid, the sub frame distributes the force off digging across the whole underbelly of the tractor. First time you disconnect it and try to reconnect it you will most likely be cursing ... key is to make sure it is sitting on level ground. you will get the hang of it though.

/ Yt347/359 B90 backhoe
Thanks to all for the information. I did look into renting a backhoe. With delivery charges it gets expensive fast, but at least I would not be adding hours on my 359. That said, hearing the overall positive experiences, I will be getting one when cash flow allows.

/ Yt347/359 B90 backhoe #7  
Ask your dealer for a pdf of the manual. If they can't get it to you, reach out to Yanmar. I find that a careful study of one can really uncover things that marketing pieces gloss over

/ Yt347/359 B90 backhoe #8  
Can anyone share their experience with the B90 backhoe that goes on the YT347 and YT359?
I have found very little on the internet. I believe it is made by Woods, and my dealer (who had yet to install one) indicates it mounts on a subframe installed with the power beyond hydraulics.

I have a YT359 on order. I did not buy the backhoe with the tractor due to cash flow, but am planning on getting one next year.
I plan on using it for trench work around the buildings and a lot of ditch work in hedge rows of my 45 acres of hay fields.

Any impressions would be welcome.
Specific questions:
Price paid? (my dealer is quoting ~$11k)
Does the backhoe feel solidly attached?
How difficult is it to attach/detach?
How have you used it?
Does it meet your expectations?

raybender, You might want to dip into this 9-video playlist from the Wranglerstar YouTube channel to see the backhoe working in several ways. Wranglerstar bridge building videos - YouTube Wranglerstar has had the B90 backhoe and Yanmar YT3 tractor since Dec. 2016. There are several more videos with tractor & backhoe action on the Wranglerstar Modern Homesteading YouTube channel: Wranglerstar
- YouTube
At 1:15 in this video, Wranglerstar speaks specifically about the backhoe - A Mouse Jumped On Me - I Yelled - YouTube At 14:13 in the same video, Mrs. Wranglerstar operates the backhoe as background to one of Wranglerstar's closing homilies.

/ Yt347/359 B90 backhoe #9  
I purchased the B90 Yanmar backhoe for my YT359C for right around 10K. Really, this is the black version of the Woods BH90-X backhoe with Yanmar markings. This price was for the backhoe itself, a 24inch bucket, the sub-frame for the tractor, the hydraulics kit and installation. It was purchased at the same time as the tractor. Prior to buying, I had some interaction with Woods. They indicated that the sub-frame is the same for the older "non-arched" version of the backhoe, so if I found an older back-hoe, it would fit directly on a new sub-frame for the YT359C. I thought about going this route, but I could only find the older backhoe for $5K in orange. The sub-frame could only be bought at a Yanmar dealer, so that was going to cost me in the realm of $1.5-$2K and with the hydraulics kit and installation, this would have me saving only about $2K or so. Just didn't seem worth it for a used backhoe, with whatever possible unknowns, in un-matching Kubota colors, so I went new.

I've done quite a bit of work with the backhoe over the past year, most recently putting in some drainage tile. When digging a long trench, it gets tedious switching between the backhoe seat and the tractor cab to move it forward, so I solicit help from one of my sons in the cab. It digs pretty quickly, so this really speeds up the process. I find that the backhoe is a good solid backhoe and strong enough for my needs. The backhoe can easily lift the back of the tractor even with filled tires, so care needs to be used, or you could flip it over. Always use the front bucket as a stabilizer and I recommend filled tires. I like the newer "arched" design of the backhoe boom. The attachment to the tractor is rock solid....no complaints there at all. The backhoe is pretty strong, but you will have difficulty with larger stumps. You need to dig way around the stump if you plan to remove a large one; watch some youtube videos on how to do this safely. There are a couple of other things to note. You'll want to create a nice level spot to take the backhoe on and off. This is because when backing up the tractor to attach, you don't have a lot of room for error. Things are packed pretty tightly in the back of the tractor and the sub-frame has to be hefty. If the tractor is tilted left or right, it is difficult to line up. Set yourself up a nice rest for the backhoe on blocks that won't sink in over time on one side or the other to cause tilting of the backhoe. This tilting problem is not specific to the Yanmar and I think any compact tractor would have similar issues with things cramped in the back. When the backhoe is off I find the 3pt hitch stabilizers run close to the backhoe sub-frame and need to be adjusted so that raising the 3pt hitch doesn't cause clearance issues between the stabilizers and the backhoe sub-frame.

Regarding usability, I find that the backhoe is not quite as smooth as I'd like, so it takes some getting used to. Sometimes if you are doing two operations at once, like moving the boom and dipper, one will take precedence. This can be annoying; I think Woods could have made this a bit better frankly.

The backhoe hydraulics sag over time, so use the pins to lock the boom always when storing and make sure the backhoe is set down on the blocks. If Woods had a pin for the dipper that would be helpful too, as I find that when the hydraulics sag, the lines pressurize and are harder to attach to the tractor after storage.

I have found that having the backhoe on gives an incredible difference in the traction. It is heavy, and cantilevered off the back, so the center of gravity moves more toward the back wheels which have way more traction. It helps dramatically with loader work and makes steering much easier with a bucket load. I'm not sure if others have noted this, but without good ballast, you can't steer easily with a load in the bucket. This seems to be true with many compact tractors. When stopped with substantial weight in the bucket the steering can't move the tires. You have to be rolling. I thought this might be something associated with the Yanmar, but we've compared another same-sized tractor and it has the same issue as well. I think I'll start a thread asking if others have this issue.

/ Yt347/359 B90 backhoe
eek bin,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights. I am glad to hear that it is working well for you.
I had begun reaching out to Woods, so your post was very timely.
I also appreciate your comment about finding a good level place to park the backhoe as well as locking the boom.
It will save me trouble when I get one.