YM2000 brakes

/ YM2000 brakes #11  
First guess: That isn't a filler, it's still a brakeshoe anchor pin, but some kind of replacement. Maybe handmade.

Second guess: He has a tractor assembled out of dis-similar parts.

And: ask him to unscrew that 'fill plug' and probe the level of the fluid inside. I would be interested to hear what he encounters.

/ YM2000 brakes
Does the design of the brake cover in the top picture, (without the adjustor), look familiar to anyone?

/ YM2000 brakes #13  
looks like a different outside cover but, the same inside part that houses the brake drum. I would be willing to bet that if he removes that outside cover on the one pictured on top that he'll find the same brakes as the one pictured on the bottom.remove those outside covers & then take the picture

/ YM2000 brakes
The plot thickens:confused: ...
Email from mike to Tom Fredricks:

> > "Hey Tom,
> These two photos are of YM2000 brake housings. The one with new paint
> is typical. The other one does not have the lock nut with the adjusting
> cam. It has a plug and is full of fluid. Red like ATF. Are these wet
> brakes? Is the fluid supposed to be in there? If so, what type?"
> >

> "Norm,
This is Tom Fredricks reply. He is a large Yanmar importer.
> From: "Tom Fredricks" <tfredricks110@charter.net>
> Date: 2007/05/18 Fri AM 08:18:23 EST

> Subject: RE: [Fwd: Emailing: P1000856, P1000855]
>
> Yes. That is a wet brake conversion.
>
> Tom Fredricks
> Manager
> Fredricks Equipment, Inc.
> 256-773-9951
> 256-751-3555 fax"

Hard to argue with Tom Fredricks.

/ YM2000 brakes #15  
Toms not big on long emails is he :) . I wonder what a "wet brake conversion" consists of? I have never heard of such a thing. Does it have the friction discs like a typical wet brake system or is it just the normal shoes floating in oil? I'd sure like to see the inside of one of those. Very interesting.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ YM2000 brakes
There's more...

"From: "Tom Fredricks" <tfredricks110@charter.net>
> Date: 2007/05/18 Fri AM 11:44:58 EST
> To: (edited)
> Subject: RE: RE: [Fwd: Emailing: P1000856, P1000855]
>
> Uses rear end fluid. Open to the transmission. No maintenance reqd.
>
> Tom Fredricks
> Manager
> Fredricks Equipment, Inc.
> 256-773-9951
> 256-751-3555 fax
>

/ YM2000 brakes #17  
I guess that goes to show that one (including myself) should never say never. I wonder why tom told me that ym 's didn't have with wet brakes when I bought my tractor ?

/ YM2000 brakes #18  
I just talked to Tom. He said that he has come across a few YM models with the conversion. It is an add on kit. Not sure if it is a Yanmar or an aftermarket kit. The conversion actually replaced the shoes with discs like a normal wet brake setup & it uses the same oil reservoir as the rear axle. He also made a very good point that, while they seem to work better & last longer than the dry shoes, you will not find replacement parts if the wet brakes ever failed... you would need to convert back to dry brakes.

kenmac,
The YM '02 & YM '20 series tractors all have wet brakes. I'm sure he meant that the '00 series did not come with wet brakes.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ YM2000 brakes #19  
HoyeTractor said:
kenmac,
The YM '02 & YM '20 series tractors all have wet brakes. I'm sure he meant that the '00 series did not come with wet brakes.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181
As do the YMG models I believe.

/ YM2000 brakes #20  
Wayne, My books show the YMGs to have the same dry brakes.... or were you saying that the YMGs do also have dry brakes.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181