Grade A vs B

/ Grade A vs B #1  

kfin

Silver Member
Tractor
YM2310D
What is the difference in Grade A and Grade B tractors?

I have been reading a lot on here and emailing with Wayne at LMTC on these. Pretty much decided that I want a 2210D. All of the ones on Wayne's site are graded A. I found a dealer in MO that has one......but it is a Grade B.

What are the thoughts and experiences with different grades?

I am sure Wayne could explain it, but I don't want to take all of his time up and wanted some other opinions also.

Thanks,

/ Grade A vs B #2  
This may vary slightly from importer to the dealer, but B grade tractors have some cosmetic issues like surface rust, moderate damage, dents and even a side cover missing. They also have a higher percentage of wear on tires, weather checked rubber, older or original belts, hoses, seats and even non-op gauges or worn brakes, seeping seals, fuel lines and gaskets.

Nothing really to indicate that it's a bad tractor...just a punch list of items to be addressed by a perspective buyer.

IMO the difference between A grade and the time spent on a B grade - replacing items, tearing down and inspecting what should be repaired or replaced is not worth the difference in money when all these items are attended to by a competent and dependable dealer.

/ Grade A vs B #3  
Don't the letter grade designations refer to tractors in original condition ?

Bruce

/ Grade A vs B #4  
This is what a grade A looks like BruceR has one that looks better than the one I have. if it has been painted you don't know what it looked like before you got it. If it is a grade A it don't need any paint on it.(Why wood you want to paint a good tractor) I think that is what a dealer on here said one time.

Attachments

• PICT0505.JPG
    PICT0505.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 268
   / Grade A vs B #5  
Keep in mind when you find a repainted tractor - Regardless of the fine impression it makes now, it probably looked like this (or worse) before it went in the paint shop.

While my elderly YM240 looks older than any YM2000 we have seen posted here, it actually is newer than any YM2000. (Its Japanese twin.) Yanmar continued production of these for the US market after they quit selling the YM2000 in Japan.

When you find a repainted YM2000 (or YM1700, YM1500, etc, anything built 25 - 30 years ago), look away and visualize this original appearance under the shiny paint. And hope they paid as much attention to the functional renovation, as they did to improving the appearance.

An original Grade A tractor is simply worth more, and quite justifiably, than a tractor in unknown condition that was repainted.

47816d1133137136-yanmar-imports-continuing-same-pace-778465-img_5693rfrontexhaust.jpg

/ Grade A vs B #6  
Hey California, have you ever thought about painting your tractor?

/ Grade A vs B #7  
Travis_R said:
Hey California, have you ever thought about painting your tractor?

It would totally ruin it:p :p :p :p

/ Grade A vs B #8  
kfin - see my post on 7-1-2002 about the same subject. I think it just a matter of whos looking at the tractor as to what grade it is. I can say all my tractors are grade A who's going to challenge me and on what bases. There is no standard set up and everybody like to make there own standards. It would be nice if UTDA set up a set of standards for this purpose. Instead a dealer trying to promote his own tractors. I think UTDA is doing a better job of this than anybody else. Find out if the dealer is a member of UTDA and you will have a winner.