New Owner of YM2002D

/ New Owner of YM2002D #1  

vwbeetle

Tractor
Yanmar YM2002D
I just purchased YM2002D with Koyker FEL. Haven't had time to give it a good workout yet. What Size rotary cutter will this tractor operate? I don't find many posts on this particular model of Yanmar. Does this mean 1) I bought a lemmon, 2) It is so reliable that there are very few questions/complaints 3) other. Thanks in advance for your kindness and help.

Beetle

/ New Owner of YM2002D #2  
vwbeetle said:
I just purchased YM2002D with Koyker FEL. Haven't had time to give it a good workout yet. What Size rotary cutter will this tractor operate?
The general rule of thumb is 5 PTO HP per foot of cutter width. That would indicate a 4' cutter for your tractor. But that is just a rule of thumb. My tractor is only 2HP larger than yours, and I routinely use a 5' cutter. BUT, my cutting is all on level ground, relatively short grass/weeds, no heavy brush or saplings. Might help if you can state generally how and what you will be cutting.

Be advised that you will need an overrunning clutch or the rotating cutter will continue to drive the tractor forward even with the tractor's clutch disengaged. Can be very disconcerting/dangerous if you're not expecting it.

I don't find many posts on this particular model of Yanmar. Does this mean 1) I bought a lemmon, 2) It is so reliable that there are very few questions/complaints 3) other.
I'll leave that for those much better versed in the various Yanmar models and any associated quirks than am I. But, if I were going to guess, I'd lean toward #2.

/ New Owner of YM2002D #3  
vwbeetle said:
I just purchased YM2002D with Koyker FEL. Haven't had time to give it a good workout yet. What Size rotary cutter will this tractor operate? I don't find many posts on this particular model of Yanmar. Does this mean 1) I bought a lemmon, 2) It is so reliable that there are very few questions/complaints 3) other. Thanks in advance for your kindness and help.

Beetle

I've sold a lot of the YM2002 tractors, very good tractor. 4' cutter.

Danny

/ New Owner of YM2002D #4  
I'm just curious....why are you asking these questions AFTER buying it rather than before?

/ New Owner of YM2002D
Thanks for the replies thus far. I will be mostly mowing pasture but occasionally cutting brush, tall weeds, and briars. Flat ground most of the time. It came with the overrunning clutch and ROPS. I am asking these questions after the purchase because I bought a 4' cutter but am wondering if a 5' could be used, I know it will make mowing a little quicker if tractor can support it. I have put a totla of two hours tach time on it now, pushing over saplings and just exercising the FEL. I noticed the smell of hydraulic fluid and then spotted a few leaks at the fittings between flex hose and hard lines. I tightened these a bit, hope that will stop the leaks. Will keep you all posted as to my progress. I really like the tractor, just a little nervous about buying a 20+ year-old model. It seems to be in good working condition though. I will have more questions later, so ya'll stay with me and talk me through this, please. Thanks again, Beetle.

/ New Owner of YM2002D #6  
Based on my experience with a 5' cutter on a 2220D, I'd say that if you can try a 5 footer on the pasture mowing at little or no cost, give it a try. I do think that getting into heavy brush, high weeds and saplings with a 5' cutter would be more load than your tractor would appreciate.

/ New Owner of YM2002D #7  
I have an 1802 which is very similar to your 2002 except 2 less hp. I love my Yannie and it has been almost completely trouble-free for 5 years. I had the water pump rebuilt once when it started leaking and that has been my only problem. If you get a 5 foot cutter, you need to get a light duty lightweight one. And then you will probably have to mow your field in a lower gear so you might not save any time at all over your 4 footer.

/ New Owner of YM2002D
How does a finishing mower compare in horsepower requirements to a rotary cutter?

/ New Owner of YM2002D #9  
I have a 2000BD with a 4' rotary and a 5' finish mower. Much of my place is up and down and a 5' rotary would be too heavy (IMHO). With about 120# of weights on the front, the 4' can raise the front wheels off the ground when cutting uphill. I tried a neighbors 5' unit and it would over tax the tractor HP in anything but grass that you can cut with a finish mower. I rarely use the rotary as most of the pasture is in good shape and I find that if I make two passes on very heavy, tall grass the 5' finish unit does the job without bogging the engine.

/ New Owner of YM2002D #10  
I'm gonna agree with other comments about going with a 4' model. There are a lot of variables going into the equation of how much power is needed and physical size considering weight and balance.

Here's an example. My place, 3 acres of pasture, level no tree saplings. Before getting my CUT I used my BIL's Kobota, abt 30hp and 5' older JD mower. His tractor struggled with any speed more than a walking pace. My machine, 24 pto hp, 5' mower and it cuts the pasture without breathing hard. During the spring 1st cutting the grass is high and thick. The diff between success and almost failure, how well the mower is able to clear the grass from under the deck. BIL's mower does a poor job and my mower does a real decent job. If the deck can't clear itself from all the cut grass, the trapped grass is adding a real load to the task.

Needless to say the weight/bal of the mower shouldn't make the front end too light so as to adversly affect handling.