New at this tractor thing.

/ New at this tractor thing. #1  

peach680

Tractor
ym1700
New at this tractor thing.

I just picked up a yanmar 1700 with 800 hours for a great deal. I need to now what exactly a over ride clutch does? Also what oils does it use in the gearbox? I think there are many thing I will be able to doewith this I own 3 acres so I need this thing.
ERik

/ New at this tractor thing. #2  
Are you talking about over running clutch ?? 80W 90 WT. if you are talking about front gear box

/ New at this tractor thing. #3  
peach680 said:
I just picked up a yanmar 1700 with 800 hours for a great deal. I need to know what exactly a over ride clutch does?
An 'Overrun clutch' works like the coasting mechanism on a bicycle. It is needed so that a heavy spinning implement driven by the PTO (mower, rototiller, etc) can't push the tractor by inertia when you want to stop and turn. It fits on the tractor's PTO shaft and has its own stub shaft sticking out the back.

I'll add that a Quick Hitch ($60 - 70 at Harbor Freight) will move the implement back about the same distance that the ORC adds to the driveline length, so that after you add the ORC, you might get a QH instead of having the driveline shortened.

Also what oils does it use in the gearbox? I think there are many thing I will be able to do with this. I own 3 acres so I need this thing.
ERik
The transmission, differential, and hydraulic system share a common sump. It takes about 4 gallons of Universal Tractor Fluid meeting specs equivalent to John Deere 303 UTF. That and motor oil (15W-40 Diesel rated) for the engine are all you need if it is 2 wheel drive. If 4x4, the front axle needs gear oil. 90 wt?? - Somebody else answer this. I have a 2wd.

You need to get an Operator's Manual that covers all this plus proper operation and safety.

I'm sure you will love your Yanmar, and will continue to discover new things you can use it for.

Welcome aboard!

/ New at this tractor thing. #4  
Welcome to the world of yanmar and TBN. Treated right your Yanmar will give you many years of dependable service. I recommend that you get some manuals from one of the dealers here on the forum. LMTC and Hoye are 2 such dealers, but there are others.

An overrunning clutch is a one way clutch that allows drive in one direction, but not the other. It is one of the safety devices normally incorporated into US tractors, but not in these grey market imports. Other safety devices normally included in US tractors are a PTO cover, and a ROPS.

A common use of the same principle as the Over running clutch is in the bendix of a starter. The starter can spin the engine, but the engine cannot spin the starter (unless something is wrong). In the same way you want the tractor PTO to spin the implement (like brush cutter) but you do not want the brush cutter to be able spin the PTO. The over running clutch functions as this one-way power flow device.

Mike in Warsaw

/ New at this tractor thing.
thanks! do you know mabey where i can get the pin that goes into the overrun mech?

Erik

/ New at this tractor thing. #6  
It is not just a "pin". It is a whole mechanism that looks a bit like a PTO shaft extension. You can get one at any tractor supply place and also at the tractor dealers. See attached photo.

Mike in Warsaw

Attachments

• QDoverrunsm.jpg
    QDoverrunsm.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 194
   / New at this tractor thing.
it came with one. but he had it hooked up wrong. he ran a bolt all the way through the clutch. from the i see it you can not do this because it defets the pourpose of the clutch. i hope i am correct at this. Looks like a pin goes in the middle of the pto.
ERik

/ New at this tractor thing. #8  
peach680 said:
it came with one. but he had it hooked up wrong. he ran a bolt all the way through the clutch. from the i see it you can not do this because it defets the pourpose of the clutch. i hope i am correct at this. Looks like a pin goes in the middle of the pto.
ERik

If I'm understanding you correctly, as long as the bolt is the proper size so that the clutch isn't free to "chatter" on the PTO shaft, it shouldn't be a problem.

There are at least two types of ORCs. One type is more or less permanently mounted and retained on the tractor's PTO shaft with a roll pin. The roll pin must be driven out with a punch if the clutch has to be removed. The other type is a quick-disconnect type that uses a spring loaded retention pin that can be depressed by hand allowing the clutch to be removed. I believe the picture Mike posted is the latter type. In neither case does the pin pass through or interfere with the clutch operation.

There have been a number of reports in this forum of failures in the quick disconnect type in which a clip breaks and allows the retention pin and spring to fall out. That may be what happened to the one on your tractor and the previous owner replaced it with a bolt.

/ New at this tractor thing. #9  
Tom_Veatch said:
There have been a number of reports in this forum of failures in the quick disconnect type in which a clip breaks and allows the retention pin and spring to fall out. That may be what happened to the one on your tractor and the previous owner replaced it with a bolt.

I posted a few weeks ago that we have the repair parts for those QD couplers that had bad pins and springs. Thread is linked below...one change...we are now ONLY sending them priority mail. The plain envelope regular mail option didn't work well.

Thread

/ New at this tractor thing. #10  
peach680 said:
ERik

I think Erik may have the "non quick" disconnect type where you take the grease zerks off and drive a roll pin through the hole on the pto shaft. The outside of the OTC should rotate while the inner part is fixed to the pto. Around here no one sells the quick disconnect type and the roll pins are not found with the OTCs so I can see how someone not knowing any better would just put a bolt through the whole thing.

VT