A 50 HP Yanmar

/ A 50 HP Yanmar #1  

Squid

Tractor
Yanmar
I came across a Yanmar F455D for sale and started to do some research. In their add they had it mislabled as a F445D. That sent me on a goose chase trying to track it down. Of course no luck. On closer look at the photos on the web it turned out to be an F455D. That helped, but the information from the dealer seemed too good to be true. He said the previous owner claimed he bought it new in 2004. Most of F series I was able to find point to late 80s and early 90s. The hour metre tended to back the dealer's claim as it was very low. I was told some Vietnamese tractors have come into the country fully refurbished with the hour metre rolled back. I have now come to understand that Kukje made some tractors for John Deere and marketed some under their own name.

I would really like to know what is going on as the tractor is the right size, looks to be in great shape and at a price I can afford. One of my major concerns is can I get parts. I have no problem with the Kukje name attached to it if that is indeed the case here. That has lead me to believe I might be able to get parts through a Branson dealership.

I read some older posts here, and saw a couple other references and pictures of F455D, but some of the comments tended to make me think noone was really sure. If anyone has experience with this model and availability of parts then that would help me make a decision.

Lastly, I need (or at least that is what I tell my wife) a 35 HP to 45 HP tractor to work 5 to 6 acres of land. I have been researching this so long, I am sure I have got her convinced I am serious. Everything I have learned tells me Yanmar is at the top of the heap and should not be ignored if a good one comes up at a resonable price.

/ A 50 HP Yanmar #2  
Squid said:
One of my major concerns is can I get parts. I have no problem with the Kukje name attached to it if that is indeed the case here. That has lead me to believe I might be able to get parts through a Branson dealership.
Why would you think that? Branson dealers do not get parts from Kukje....they get them from Branson Machinery LLC, a corporation in Rome, GA. Branson Machinery LLC buys tractors & parts from Kukje Machinery Co. Ltd in S. Korea. There simply is no direct connection. It's not as if a Branson dealer can just have BM LLC have KM LLC toss a few non-Branson tractor parts in a container. For starters (and I do not KNOW this) it is highly likely that model was built with a specified distribution area, and the mfg contract probably does not allow sale of parts outside that area.

My personal opinion is that it is a parts orphan. I am convinced you will not get parts through any Branson supply chain. While there may be importers who could get parts, they would have to have secondary connections in S. Korea (as they are not likely to buy them directly from Kukje) and the prices with freight would probably be frightening. We were offered the opportunity about eight years ago to buy those and similar units (mfd by Kukje and/or Kioti) directly from used yards in S. Korea. At the time our exploration of that indicated parts would be a nightmare, as none of the models corresponded to anything either manufacturer was selling in other markets.

/ A 50 HP Yanmar #3  
I was told some Vietnamese tractors have come into the country fully refurbished with the hour metre rolled back.

I don't think you were told the whole truth.Hour meter rolled back ? most always. Fully refurbished ? I don't think so. What parts are replaced are usually mis-matched parts from other worn out tractors not new parts.

/ A 50 HP Yanmar #4  
Beyond the FX32D the physical size of the tractor won’t increase till you hit 60hp. What are you running off the PTO that will need over 30hp on 5 to 6 acres?

Buck

/ A 50 HP Yanmar #5  
Squid said:
I was told some Vietnamese tractors have come into the country fully refurbished with the hour metre rolled back. I have now come to understand that Kukje made some tractors for John Deere and marketed some under their own name.

There really is no such thing. This would by nature imply that all parts were removed, sandblasted, replaced, repaired, reassembled, primed, tested, re-painted, tested, load tested, etc.

You get what you get. If you buy a non-refurb'd machine state side, you see what you have. If you buy a "refurbished" machine from elsewhere, you see what you see, but you you *might* not get what you see.. That is, you don't know...

people say here all the time, it's the dealer that'll stand behind the product which will make the difference. Good luck, overall, yanmars are really great.

/ A 50 HP Yanmar
EFC said:
Beyond the FX32D the physical size of the tractor won’t increase till you hit 60hp. What are you running off the PTO that will need over 30hp on 5 to 6 acres?

Buck
There is lots of brush to clear, old abandoned sheds to demolish, a washed out road bed to reclaim, a spring to clean up of brush and debris and lots of dirt to move. In other words I will be putting this tractor through some serious work. A box blade, a brush mower and loader work and possibly a backhoe attachment would certainly round out the work requirements.

Information from the dealer says the engine has the following code 4TN84 RNK 29HP/2600 1.906 and 14515 Made in Japan. It looks top notch. I see that motor advertised as new on some auction web sites.

This information is certainly adding to my knowlege base, as limited as it still may be. You veteran members sure contribute some valuable information. It is much appreciated. I was directed to a fellow named Leonard Shaeffer who has been very helpful in tracking down availability of parts. That is why I had the dealer get me the extra information.

You all have to understand I am located in the geographic center of British Columbia well away from where the dealer has this Yanmar for sale. I was debating on the merit of taking a 500 mile trip to go see it in person. The photos are great, but I wanted as much information as possible before I head down there. While there I plan on looking at some others. I have already made two trips, one to look at some new Deutz Fahr tractors at a Ritchie Brothers Auction. Nice tractors, but there were no bargains there. Another long trip to look at what the Chinese had to offer with Foton and Jinma 35, 40and one 80 Hp Foton with a Perkins engine...Too big. Still looking.

/ A 50 HP Yanmar #7  
keep in mind that, the tractors that you have listed will most likely will have to be repaired by yourself if something should go wrong. Most tractor dealers won't work on these tractors