Injector Removal

/ Injector Removal #1  

rock2610D

Silver Member
Tractor
2610D
Wanted to post the process i used to pull my injectors.

1) removed lines, clamps and return orfices
2) tried to pull up on injectors DID not WORK!!
3) blew out crevices with air and soaked with PB Blaster every day for a week
4) still would not come out, tapped with hammer still no go
5) hooked everything back up and left clamps loose about 1/4" of play
6) cranked engine hoping compression would pop them loose, nothing
7) STARTED ENGING and reved to 2000 rpm, NAADAA
8) purchased a slide hammer and removed top section of #1 injector
9) broke slide hammer trying to remove injector, not to mention hurting my hands
10)Designed my own injector puller

Here is what I did:

1) determined the thread size of lower part of injector, mine was M20X1.5
2) looked for a week for someone who could supply a bolt and nut 4" long that was M20X1.5. Finally found one!
3) cut a 2"X2" piece of 1/4" steel plate
4) drilled a 1" hole into 2X2 plate
5) cut a 2" schedule 40 pipe off at 3" long
6) placed steel plate on top of pipe and put bolt with nut screwed to bolt head thru hole on plate.
7) threaded bolt into top of lower injector, Did not have what I thought was enough threads because of injector needle.
8) drilled 1/4" hole in the bottom of the bolt 1/2' deep
9) rethreaded contraption back into lower injector and screwed nut down to top of plate.
10) Had to use a 2 foot cheater bar on wrench to turn nut. Ended up stripping out the metric nut and bolt!!!
11) Ordered hardend M20X1.5 metric bolt and nut, even harder to locate. Took another week. Got them from New York somewhere.
12) Assembled the contraption again. Used PB blaster on nut and bolt and still had to use a 2 foot cheater bar. But the #1 injector FINALLY started to inch out.

Each injector took about 1/2 hour and ALOT of muscle to remove but I finally got them ALL out and new ones in!!!

/ Injector Removal #2  
How does it run/start with the new injectors?

/ Injector Removal
Runs fine. There was a slight knock that disappeared with the new injectors, and it seems to rev a little faster now. Starting is somewhat better but still struggles during colder temps.

/ Injector Removal #4  
For whatever it is worth I noticed that the #1 injector was harder to remove that the #2 or #3.

I used on the injector removing tools that Hoye sells, it worked great. It is basically a slide hammer with an adapter that screws into the nozzel nut of the injector.

/ Injector Removal
The slide hammer that broke was the exact type you used. Ain't no way it would have even budged any of my injectors. It ended up breaking and brusing my hands.

/ Injector Removal #6  
rock2610D said:
The slide hammer that broke was the exact type you used. Ain't no way it would have even budged any of my injectors. It ended up breaking and brusing my hands.

OUCH! I could see that happening for sure.