Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 1610 head gasket issue #1  

Box

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1610D
Hello,

This is my first post but I have been visiting and reading posts on this site for about 8 months.

I am in the process of repairing a problem with a 1610D that I have and I tought I would post what I have found so far in case there is someone out there that may be experincing the same issue. About 2 months after I purchased the tractor it developed a problem with compression leaking into the coolant jacket. This cuases the coolant to overfill the overflow bottle after about an hour or so of running. If you let the tractor sit over night you can run another hour or so before the same problem comes back. If you stop and add enough coolant to bring the radiator back to full you can only run about 20 minutes between refills. As I said it was getting a lot of compression in the cooling system. I have not found any oil and coolant mixing in either the radiator or the oil pan.

The engine started very well and had plenty of power. The only issue was the stoping every 20 minutes to refill the radiator when I was brush hogging, grading etc...

I tired a new radiator cap, flushing the radiator and cleaning the rad fins, K&W block sealer, bascially all the short cuts with no luck.

After reading several posts on this site, I checked the coolant when the engine was cold to see if I was getting any bubbles and found that I was. I also found that I was getting a back sooty residue in the coolant which to me was another indicator that exhaust was entering the coolant.

So I ordered a head gasket and the other parts needed to replace the head gasket and tore the engine down on the 4th. I found that all 3 cylinders where firing and that over all the engine looks to have little wear on it. The hour meter said it had 824 hours when I purchased the tractor and the engine conditon realtive to wear appears to back up the hour meter reading.

There was no indication as to which cylinder was the one losing compression and in hind sight I should have done a compression test before removing the head but I did not.

I checked the head per the manual for warpage and found none. I had a friend help me with the work who is a mechanic. He suspected a crack might be cuasing the issue, but since it was the 4th we put the engine back together and hoped for the best. When I fired the engine up the issue was worse that it had been so I now think he may have been right about the crack I have the head a machine shop today being checked out.

Over all the engine has been very easy to work on and I am inpressed with just how easly is comes apart and goes back together.

Once I get the problem "fixed" I will post again to let you all know what I found.

One question that I have is has anyone experinced any issues with the head bolts stretching? I am wondering that since I did not find any warpage if it is possible that the head bolts might have stretched and allowed the compressions to leak into the water jacket at the head gasket.

Again I will post a follow up once I have her back together and running.

Box

Status
Not open for further replies.