2610D Turbocharging

/ 2610D Turbocharging
Thanks Mark, its is not so much as altitude problems but the fact that at 8000 feet my factory HP is about 20% less. So, my 26 hp tractor is only a 20 HP tractor where I live. I am hoping to get her back to factory specs. Not sure anything will help with my cold weather starting issues except heaters. Turbo will never be able to boost while cranking. It may allow more heat to stay in cylinders from thermostart due to the resistance the turbine creates.

Talked to the guy who picked up the tractor in LA for me and he said it did not seem to have any problems. It still does not but I think it smokes a little too much. Expecially when appling fuel. If you have ever seen a tractor pull you know what I mean. When I installed the 1st turbo smoke color (Pitch black) went to more of a brown. I think it helped but was too big and did not boost well. IE boost too hot and still not enough O2 to really burn all fuel.

If I get good results the next additions will be an oil cooler to help compensate for increased heat turbo puts into engine, and a intercooler to help cool intake charge.

Please note I would not even think about turbocharging my tractor if I lived at a lower elevation, EXPECIALLY if the climate were hot. Even in a cool climate I can tell my tractor works hard to stay cool. The main function of this tractor is to use a 6 foot Lorenz snow blower during winter months. The factory HP rating is perfect for this blower and will allow me to move just a hair faster. Which means ALOT when it is 10 degrees out with 60 mph winds!!!

/ 2610D Turbocharging
DING DANG DARN IT!!! Turbo is all hooked up except the oil feed line banjo fitting that is supposed to show up Thursday. Problem is that I cannot start engine now because of no oil to turbo and oil line disconnected.

Over the course of the last 5 days my loader has sunk to the point that I cannot open the hood anymore!!! I can over come this when my banjo fitting comes in. But I must now assume I have a problem with my hydraulics.

There is no external leak in hydraulic system. Is it typical for a loader to go from full up to 1/4 up in 5 days? If not what do you think would be the most likely cause?

/ 2610D Turbocharging #23  
Rock,

That would not be so bad that there is a leak that needs to be repaired. That is pretty much normal, in fact not bad. The oil could be bypassing in the cylinders or the valve. It is nothing to worry about at this stage. Frustrating I know, but not to worry.

Most "safety police" will be very unhappy that you were working under a raised loader without a mechanical block for the loader cylinder. A half piece of pipe with some tie straps on the cylinder rod will work.

Mike

/ 2610D Turbocharging
Thanks, for the info on the hydraluics. Will not worry too much about that now. Will address in the future if it get worse.

Yes, I know working under a loader is dangerous. Thought about the danger AFTER everything was disconnected and loader had sunk too far to engage the locking mechanisum. Yes I know that is even worse. My loader has a loader lock and I was too stupid to use it!!!! But I was EXCITED about my new turbo and I guess got careless.

Once it is up again I will engage the lock. Thank you for your concren.

/ 2610D Turbocharging #25  
Rock,

Good go. How 'bout some pics of the installation. Are you still waiting for the banjo bolt? I am very curious how it works for you. Did you install also a turbine inlet temp, or exhaust temp?

Mike

/ 2610D Turbocharging
I am not planning on installing a EGT sensor. I am thinking that since I am not tinkering with the fuel, engine should not get any hotter than factory specs.

Cold side temp sensors are not planned either. Once turbo is installed and running under a load I will use hands on the pressure side to determine how hot things are. If I feel intake is too warm I will add an intercooler that I have laying around off of a 2.0 liter Eagle Talon.

Pictures are forth coming. Not much I could take a photo of with hood down. Got a call from wife, banjo fitting cam via UPS today. Will install it tonight.

Just a note on this turbo install. Turbo must have a .04 inch restrictor in oil pressure side. My banjo bolt has this. Too much oil volume or pressure will blow out seals.

I have a wastegate on turbo that will initally be put in the off position. If my boost guage shows over 10psi of boost under heavy load I will be adding a wastegate controller.

Last edited:
   / 2610D Turbocharging
Well everything is hooked up. Tractor runs like I never thought it would!! WOW!! Hardly any black smoke at all. If I pull full throttle in about 2 seconds all black smoke is gone.

Turbo boosts to 8 psi at full throttle under mild load. No need for a wastgate.

I am very happy right now.

Photos will follow.

/ 2610D Turbocharging #28  
Great Rock, I am very happy for you. Absolutely great. I look forward to the pics. You will see a noticeable increase in power even from 8 lbs of boost. Diesels were meant to be boosted!!

Mike

/ 2610D Turbocharging #29  
Late to the party...............congrats on getting it up and working. the only piece of advice I had you already covered adequately, and that was to use a large hose for the oil drain back. You used 3/4", which should be about right.
personally, I would have drilled and tapped your fitting into the side of the oil pan, near the top so it would be above the oil level, would have worked just fine, but your way should be good as well.........

/ 2610D Turbocharging
Finally got time for photos.. I still cannot believe the increase in torque and power!!! Usually while driving up a small hill if I were to pull full throttle the tractor would maintain 2000 rpm and smoke black like a tractor at a tractor pull. NOW WOW I drive up hill and push throttle as normal and with in 3 to 5 seconds the govenor has kicked in at 2800 rpm and I back off!!! WOW!

I am still grinnen!!! If this is what a 26 HP tractor is like I cannot believe what a 40 HP tractor is like.

Couple of other things to mention. I have to get a on/off (brass) valve for thermostart. Intake pressure blows diesel fuel out of storage bowl. I have it clamped off right now as you can see from photos. Also intake manifold gasket was not designed for pressure I do not believe. I had to remove mine and install a new gasket that I cut for size. I was able to use gasket sealer on the new one. The old one was rubber and would not stay set with sealer on it. This stopped all intake leaks.

Attachments

• SUC50010.JPG
    SUC50010.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 414
  • SUC50011.JPG
    SUC50011.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 397
  • SUC50012.JPG
    SUC50012.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 366
  • SUC50013.JPG
    SUC50013.JPG