Power Shift

/ Power Shift #1  

pennwalk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186D
What is Powershift? Do all Yanmars have it?

Chris

/ Power Shift #2  
No Chris....not all Yanmars have powershift, mine doesn't. If I understand it right powershift allows you to change into a higher gear or even reverse without using the clutch. That would be extremely helpful to me with all the low hanging fruit trees I have to mow around. Powershift would be great to have if you're using a Front-End Loader as well.
Jerry

/ Power Shift #3  
Yep the power shift option is of great help. You can keep your rpms up like when you are mowing and if you need to slow down you can just drop it down to a lower gear without the clutch. On my 2210 the 10 stands for power shift. I have 4 speeds and a crawler gear. Once you slect wich gear to work in using the clutch then you have a little shift leaver with a 123NR on it and you can in that gear vary you speed. SO for instance you want to go fast so you shift into 4th gear using the clutch with the power shift in N. You will not be going at all till you shift the power shift into 1 to go even faster 2 than top speed in 3. All this and you can keep you rpms the same. Now to slow down and stop drop back slowy to N and if you want to go into Reverse wait till it stops and shift into R. Reverse is almost like a 2 or 3 but going backwards so I usually have to drop the throttle a little. Not to hard to do really usefull and makes mowing really easy. Later, Erick

/ Power Shift #4  
1 How reliable is power shift? 2 What problems to expect? 3 How often and expensive to rebuild? 4 what normal maintenance is required ? 5 Is standard shift much more reliable? Mike

/ Power Shift #5  
1 It is very reliable. 2 The only problems that usually occur different than in a gear drive tractor are the ocasional O ring that needs to be replaced. 3 I would not think that you would need to rebuild one in most cases. The O ring kits are very reasonable. 4 Changing fluids on a normal schedule 5 No they are about the same. Power shift is basically a gear drive model that uses clutches to engage gears in a selected range. It senses when the gears align and then shifts.

/ Power Shift #6  
I have a 2310, and I am very happy with it. When I use the rotary brush cutter, I can back in to heavy places when I get as far as I feel confortable shift into neutral, and then 1. I don't lose rpm's and have been able to cut the top of a bank by a RR cut where I would have alot of trouble using the clutch for each shift. It has been steady back blading, I cut 5' out of the back of my house to build a addition and could change gears while moving a pile of dirt and didn't stop to speed up or down.

/ Power Shift #7  
Where are the o-rings located? Is replacing them complicated for a good shade tree mechanic? How long does it take?

Mike

/ Power Shift #8  
They are in a fluid control box bolted to the top of the transmission. The box sits right between your feet and is very accessible....in fact it is too accessible.....I trip over that darn control box every time I get on and off and am not paying attention.
Frankly, people rarely do anything to the powershift other than clean the filters. I don't know when I've heard of one going wrong. Even replacing the o rings is not a very common job. The service manual will guide you through the why of the various fluid control paths.
Are you kidding? Nothing is too complex for a good shadetree mechanic. And I figure nobody does better work than a concerned tractor owner doing the same job for the second time around...

/ Power Shift #9  
Thanks guys for the info. Looks like power shift is the way to go.

Mike

/ Power Shift #10  
Greetings....

I put 6 hours or so on my YM336D this weekend, mostly FEL work, but some skidding of logs as well. The Powershift is GREAT. Coming from an old Kubota and Farmall Cub it is MUCH easier to match ground speed to the task, as well as manuvering around with the FEL.
My only complaint is hitting the Powershift lever with me knee when I clutch (changing ranges). It doesn't happen often, but it's annoying! (FYI I'm 5'9", so long legs aren't really a problem /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif ).

Good luck on your tractor search!
Couchsachraga