Metal pieces in Hydraulics filter

/ Metal pieces in Hydraulics filter #1  

medtech40

Hello everyone, although ive been here reading different post since i bought a Yanmar 2610 last year,this is my first post. I havent had any problems until 2 weeks ago. I started having overheating problems but solved it by reading past posts. I decide to change the hydr. fluid and clean the screen. Upon taking out the screen, i notice metal pieces inside the housing. I put my fingers inside and pulled 2 small pieces of metal about 1/16 in size and about half a teaspoon of what look likes shavings. The larger pieces looks like the tips of gears. So, my question is if anyone knows where these might have come from since i found them in the rear and what might i have to do to locate where they came from. I never had any problems such as unusual noises, only over heating, before. i appreciate any possible answers.

/ Metal pieces in Hydraulics filter #2  
Gears get damaged from grinding when shifting, or from friction. Chips are more likely to occur from grinding. From friction alone you just get a very smooth gray sludge.

If I were you, I'd probably clean the strainer/screen, put things back together and refill the hydraulic reservoir and go to work. I know it's a hassle, but after about another 20 hours I'd probably pull the strainer again and see how it looks. If it's pretty clean, I wouldn't worry about it.

Gears with the corners of a few teeth broken off will still work fine. On older stick shift transmissions it's normal for some of the gears to have corners worn/ground off, especially the unsynchronized gears (e.g., reverse).

/ Metal pieces in Hydraulics filter #3  
My 2160 had the exact same thing. When I changed Hydraulic Fluid and cleaned screen I used a magnet to gather up all the metal particals I could not get out by hand. Its kinda a low spot where all the shavings were and I hope that all that was normal for a 30 yr old tractor.

I suppose previous owners never cleaned it out. I also used my old hydraulic fluid (it didn't look too bad) to flush the system some more and used magnet again.

No problems thus far except slight thump in hydro system that was there prior to oil change.