Anybody local to me, YM135 needs help

/ Anybody local to me, YM135 needs help #1  

artfull dodger

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 420 garden tractor
I picked up an old YM135 that needs some help, From chatting on other forums we think it needs a headgasget besides a new radiator. She will start and run, with little of the correct diesel knock, and lots of greyish/black smoke out the exhaust. Throttle responce with the lever isnt much or sluggish and you have to use the compression release to shut it down. I want to learn to maintain it, but hesitate to tear into it alone. Most places up here dont want to mess with older compacts and just wanna walk ya to a new one. I live up near Erie, PA if there is anybody close by that would like to help/teach me fix this old girl up. Thanks Mike T

/ Anybody local to me, YM135 needs help
Here is a couple of pics of the old girl. Mike
000_1173.jpg

000_1172.jpg

/ Anybody local to me, YM135 needs help #3  
That rig looks like a great find! Beautiful color! :D

Don't start tearing anything apart until you have at least heard the advice of other owners here, and done some simple testing.

My Yanmar was hard to start when I bought it. I soon discovered the problem was simply rancid fuel.

Hopefully your repairs will be equally simple.

I drained all the fuel and rebled the injection system. I only get the ocasional diesle knock sound, rest is muffled sounding with lots of greyish exhaust smoke. The rad was dry, I filled it up and it must leak in about 6 spots aleast. I dont want to drop the coin for the new one till I am sure the diesel will run correctly again. My bets are on a blow headgasget letting water into the cylinders. Doesnt start to hard without any assistance, typical white smoke till it fires over, then greyish/black with more grey than anything else. Will literaly smoke out the area if I leave it running for moment or two. I have maybe let it run 4-5min at the most since it dosent sound right. Mike

/ Anybody local to me, YM135 needs help #5  
How is the air flow ? Cleaned the air intake, etc.? Also, you can run without radiator for a few min to see if it'll run correctly. If the Hg is blown have you seen any obscene leaks or oil in the radiator or over flow bottle?

Doesnt have an overflow, just goes to the ground, I cant keep fliud in the rad long enough to overflow it, I can say the water I put in it, now has an oily sheen on the surface, I just got it so I dont know any of the earlier history of the machine. I may drain it later this week and run it for a few seconds. Mike

/ Anybody local to me, YM135 needs help #7  
Air intake is clean and unrestricted? And, good clean #2 fuel? No water or algae anywhere?
Blown Hg is going to look pretty messy, beyond just sheen, although, not impossible.

fuel is clean, no air cleaner, I took it off when I tried to start it up. The water in the leaking rad only has like maybe 5-7 total min run time on it, rad was bone dry when I got it. P.O didnt run it, nobody wanted to mess with it, just wanted to sell him a new machine. He didnt know how long it has sat unused. Mike

/ Anybody local to me, YM135 needs help #9  
botamike said:
Here is a couple of pics of the old girl. Mike
Its a boy you can tell by the vertical exhaust. Girls have horizontal exhaust.

Make sure the fuel filter is clean. Theres no restrictions in the lines or tank.
And make sure it bled well. bleed it at the filter then bleed it at the fitting were it enters the fuel pump. A unbled system will cause the problems you describe. Also that tractor bleeds best when it at least half full. You
may be able to have the radiator fixed a a radiator shop. I have a spare if you really need one I'm in Lawrence county. You can go to hoyetractor.com and they have bleeding instructions there.

Buddy came over tonight and looked at/ran the yanmar. He thinks the injectors are messed up. Seems to be putting fuel into the cylinders all the time and not just when they are supposed to. Oil looks good, no brass or metalic stuff, no water either from the looks of it. He has to much going on right now to work on her, but his friend that is even better at fixing diesels needs a garden tractor, so if he is interested I am going to trade him my Kubota G4200 for fixing the yanmar up to 1k in money as that is what I have in the bota. Unless the IP is messed up he thinks we can fix it for that including a new radiator. Have to wait and see now, he should know for me in a few days. Mike