HELP! ENGINE SPEED RUNS AWAY

/ HELP! ENGINE SPEED RUNS AWAY #1  

YM2010

SAM AT HOYE TRACTOR SAID SOMEONE HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM IN THE FORUM,I LOOKED,CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?
RECENTLY I REPLACED THE CAMSHAFT IN MY 2010.WHEN I CRANKED THE TRACTOR THE ENGINE SPEED KEPT CLIMING TO 3000 RPM,AND IT SMOKED LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN! I HAD TO SHUT OFF THE FUEL TO KILL THE ENGINE.THE THROTTLE LEVER HAD NO EFFECT ON ENGINE SPEED OR ENGINE KILL. I CHECKED THROUGH THE GOVERNOR COVER AND THE GOVERNOR LEVER AND CONTROL RACK PIN WERE IN THE RIGHT PLACE. THE GOVERNOR LEVER SEEMS TO BE O.K.,COULD IT BE IN THE INJECTOR PUMP OR PUMP TIMING?ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED! THANKS.

/ HELP! ENGINE SPEED RUNS AWAY #2  
Welcome to TBN 2010,

...is your caps lock stuck?? LOL.

The problem sure sounds like throttle linkage to me. The small throttle link to the pump bottom and behind the throttle plate cover is probably unhooked. This would explain the excessive unburnt fuel smoke and no hand control to shut the throttle down or off. Just takes a few minutes to remove cover and inspect with a flashlight.

Good luck, Mark

Mark

/ HELP! ENGINE SPEED RUNS AWAY
THANKS FOR THE REPLY MARK .I DID REMOVE THE COVER AND THE PIN IS IN PLACE.I EVEN MOVED THE RACK WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING AND COVER REMOVED,(A SLIGHT OIL BATH!)BUT ENGINE SPEED DID NOT CHANGE. ANY OTHER IDEAS?

/ HELP! ENGINE SPEED RUNS AWAY #4  
YM2010 said:
THANKS FOR THE REPLY MARK .I DID REMOVE THE COVER AND THE PIN IS IN PLACE.I EVEN MOVED THE RACK WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING AND COVER REMOVED,(A SLIGHT OIL BATH!)BUT ENGINE SPEED DID NOT CHANGE. ANY OTHER IDEAS?

When you type in caps on a forum it's taken as if you're yelling

/ HELP! ENGINE SPEED RUNS AWAY #5  
Eddie said:
When you type in caps on a forum it's taken as if you're yelling

I think he is . HELP !!!

/ HELP! ENGINE SPEED RUNS AWAY #6  
kenmac said:
I think he is . HELP !!!
My first thought.

And rightfully so... 3000 RPM...and smokin' like a freight train :D

/ HELP! ENGINE SPEED RUNS AWAY #7  
Very Strange....

Since you're confident that the mechanical linkage - hand throttle and throttle rod to pump are correctly attached, and you can see them operate correctly and NOT control the pump, then there must be trash or something caught in the pump itself. I can't figure anything else that would produce the symptoms you've posted.

Pump timing shouldn't be affected by swapping camshafts...and if it were, it would make the tractor hard starting, burn the fuel poorly or not start at all...but I don't see how it would cause the pump and engine RPM's to spike at 3000 (IMO). Even though the pump is very complicated in machined tolerances and with tiny precision parts, it works simply... like you kitchen faucet, the more you open it, the more fluid volume comes out.

I'd remove the pump and fittings and wash with carb spray and then clean again with diesel fuel...I would NOT take the pump completely apart as they are nearly impossible to reassemble and time correctly without all the special shop tool goodies........but dirt, or something is keeping the pump volume Wide Open Throttle. (Maybe :)) It's where I would start anyway...

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mark

I'll check and clean the pump this comming weekend.Trash in pump sounds logical.I'll keep you posted.Thanks again...SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS GUYS.

I`m back. Sorry about the delay.My tractor is in one state and I`m in another.Plus,my neighbor was able to let me borrow his tractor this summer.
Anyway, back to the origional problem...ITS FIXED!!!:) You were correct in your diagnosis of the injector pump.I took the pump to Rowes Diesel Repair in Franklin,GA (706 -675- 3051).He charged me $100 bucks to go through it ,replace seals,and adjust on cam machine.Well worth the money.That thing runs like a sewing machine.He coulden`t say what caused it to run on ,but it`s fixed! thanks again for all y`alls help!
If you have any fuel injection pump or injector problems in the future ,I would highly recommend Leroy Rowe in Franklin GA.(phone number above)

/ HELP! ENGINE SPEED RUNS AWAY #10  
Glad you got it figured out. That had to put your mind at rest knowing it was only a $100.00 problem.