Brake Jobs on YMs

/ Brake Jobs on YMs #1  

roger_scotty

Gold Member
Tractor
165D,336D,JD_530
I just wrote a bit on brake jobs so I thought I'd post it here in case of need.

You probably aren't doing any damage. Most of the brake wear problems are due to water (or condensation) in the brake housing that causes rust on the drum. This rust makes pits on the drum that quickly eat up the brake shoes. Also the combination of brake dust and rust dust clog up the brakes.
Sometimes just cleaning out the dust helps. The best cure is to lightly turn (lathe) the brake drums, put in new shoes with fresh linings, and replace the rusty brake springs. If you do that and enlarge the brake vent then brakes last a long, long time.
You can easily do the job. It is all mechanical...no hydraulics or anything tricky. The cover gasket can be replaced with silicone sealer, the drum is held on with one nut or bolt and rarely sticks to the splines. The complete shoe assembly comes out with the cover. Just like older motorcycle brakes. Handcarry the drums to a brake shop for lathing if sanding won't clean them up sufficiently.
Brake shoes are expensive. You may want to check around if someone local rebonds brake linings. That would be the best way to go, but I don't know a source. The linings are glued, not rivited - though rivited ones might work. Someone is rebonding them, because when I buy new shoes they want the old shoes as cores.
Yanmar parts are just as obtrainable as the JD parts...Some might interchange, but I don't know which. BE SURE to order new springs.
What I do is to take them apart, clean and sand and reassemble with silicone sealer. That makes them work better while I order the needed parts. If a spring has rusted apart, I just use something close which is scrounged from a motorcycle shop or brake shop.
Another hint I have is that the job is much easier if you take off the rear wheels. Take off both wheels and do one side of the brakes at a time so you have one to look at if you have any questions. I think you can do it without a manual, though I sure do like the Yanmar manuals. All of the YM series brakes seem to be the same.
Good luck and ask any questions you need to..

/ Brake Jobs on YMs #2  
Roger, can you explain my "wet" brakes on the FF205D and why I was told all the hyd fluid would drain out? Are wet brakes better or just a bigger pain to fix? thaks, bw

/ Brake Jobs on YMs #3  
I stood on the shoulders of Yanmar experts to become a Bronze member. Reposting the widom of the many has led to this praise for the one. Thanks to all the little people, other than Roger, whom I just learned is constantly bottoming out his seats on his Yanny collection! . Does TBN give out a Twinkie award?

/ Brake Jobs on YMs
Brett, my old computer died last month taking many things with it....along things lost were the exploded diagrams that you sent me last year. If you send them again I'll go through the differences between your FF and some of the YM series. Did you ever get any original advertising literature on it?

For those of you who haven't seen Brett's FF series Yanmar (I hadn't ever seen one)... it is considerably different from the YMs that most of us have. The FF is a recent model and turns out to be a mechanically advanced machine. Some of its features were not yet available on the new offerings from Kubota, JD, and New Holland last time I looked.

/ Brake Jobs on YMs #5  
Roger I'll send them out or attach them here. Perhaps others would like a look at them, and that central differencial, remember that. Also, I too have taken a big hit with the computer so I have even lost your address, send it to me if you will. brettandkathy@att.net
thanks again, and you didn't respond to the shot I took at you with the Twinkies and your bottoming out those Yannie seats!

/ Brake Jobs on YMs
Brett, I just filled out my personal section so you can click on my name and get the email address. Here it is just in case that doesn't work. It is an old-fashioned internet address, "rogerlov@ix.netcom.com".
Re the twinkies: Look on the seat spring thread.