YM 1700 - It runs!! It runs!!

/ YM 1700 - It runs!! It runs!! #1  

SailorBob

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1700
For any of you who have been following the saga of the rebuild of my 1700 I just wanted to let you know that I finally got it back togother this weekend. I have read a lot of threads where no one ever posts their results.

It fired right off first time and runs great. Lots of power, no smoke, and the engine even seem quiter than before the rebuild. The only problem I have found is that after running it for about 30 minutes I discovered a small leak in the radiator. I dropped it off at the radiator shop this morning.

If any of you are considering taking a a rebuild by yourself you can do it. This was my first time ever rebuilding an engine of any kind. (I did used to help a friend rebuild car engines years ago but, I was just muscle and turned wrenches. He had all of the knowledge. It does require a lot of patience for a first timer. The shop manual was a big help as well. I was very careful and made photos of everything as I tore down the engine. I also bagged and labled every screw and part in case I forgot where it went. The most difficult part was removing the old cylinder liners.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the board who has helped and provided advice along the way. (Aaron, Rock, Oldhippy, mech, and everyone else that contributed). I know that I probably have asked some stupid questions along the way..

I no longer have a Viet rocon..I now have a Bob Recon.:):)

/ YM 1700 - It runs!! It runs!! #2  
Bob glad you got it going. now you can have some fun with it. I would not work it to hard till I run it for awhile.

/ YM 1700 - It runs!! It runs!! #3  
Glad that it all came together. Have a good time with it and hope you get a lot of seat time. Thanks for the update. big dan

/ YM 1700 - It runs!! It runs!! #4  
Glad to hear of your success:) I just got enough time on mine to re-torque head. Was supprised to find that my inital torque on my head bolts had changed drastically after only a couple of hours of running tractor.

Final torque upon rebuild was 120 foot lbs. During retorque, the head bolts broke at less than 100 foot lbs. I retorqued to 125 foot lbs. Strongly urge you to re-torque after a couple of hours of running engine.

I think you will be supprised with the newly rebuild motor. Mine is much more powerfull. Oh Yah, I would consider adding a magnet to your oil filter and changing filter and oil after a couple of hours of running too.

/ YM 1700 - It runs!! It runs!! #5  
Glad for your success, and thanks for letting us know. I know what it is like to crank it over for the first time and then to hear it take and run--sweeeet!!

Good on ya!!

Mike

/ YM 1700 - It runs!! It runs!! #6  
Congrats of the sucessful endevor. Nothing like a can-do attitude.

/ YM 1700 - It runs!! It runs!!
rock2610D said:
Glad to hear of your success:) I just got enough time on mine to re-torque head. Was supprised to find that my inital torque on my head bolts had changed drastically after only a couple of hours of running tractor.

Final torque upon rebuild was 120 foot lbs. During retorque, the head bolts broke at less than 100 foot lbs. I retorqued to 125 foot lbs. Strongly urge you to re-torque after a couple of hours of running engine.

I think you will be supprised with the newly rebuild motor. Mine is much more powerfull. Oh Yah, I would consider adding a magnet to your oil filter and changing filter and oil after a couple of hours of running too.
I do plan on retorquing the head when I get a little more time on it. I only have about 30 minutes on it so far. I am glad that you reminded me about the magnets. I had intended to do that and forgot. I just removed a hard drive from one of our servers. They have some nice magnets on them.

I really need to box blade my driveway with all of the rain we have had lately. That should be a nice easy job to help break in the motor. Much easier on the motor that the brush hog.

/ YM 1700 - It runs!! It runs!! #8  
care to try you're luck on a 3110:D

Just kidding. Glad to see ya got her going

Have fun,,,,be careful

/ YM 1700 - It runs!! It runs!! #9  
sailorbob, Congrats!! nice to read that you got your tractor rebuilt!!! I think your story tells a full tale- not that it's a tale, but that you stuck whith the whole thread of the tractor throu rebuild... inspirational to alll... thanks man.

/ YM 1700 - It runs!! It runs!! #10  
Happy to hear things went as expected. Ultimately it all comes down to wanting to do a good job and willing to read (and re-read) the manual. As my dad used to say: it's just an engine. We wouldn't hesitate to change a tire, so why draw the line at the rebuild. If you know how to read, can adhere to the specs and know how to loosen and tighten bolts, the next step is a torque wrench, ring compressor and a big smile when it actually does what was hoped for.