Wheels for Tractors

/ Wheels for Tractors #1  

roger_scotty

Gold Member
Tractor
165D,336D,JD_530
The subject of wheels comes up commonly, so I'll put down what I know and hope others will add to it.
It helps to think of wheels not as one assembly, but as being built up out of two pieces with very different jobs.

The first part is the wheel rim. Rims are built to fit to tires, and nobody cares what brand of machine a rim goes on. The rim's job is to support a tire. Rims are identified by a series of numbers that are often stamped into the rim and identify the drop of the bead, the width of the rim where the tire fits, the inside diameter of that rim, and sometimes the year it the rim was made. These numbers are very standard, commonly in inches, and are universally recognized. This is all done so that tire manufacturers can specify what rims should be used with a certain tire size.

The other part of a wheel is the center web. The center web is the part that adapts a rim/tire combination to a specific tractor. The center is designed by the tractor manufacturer, and is the only part that makes the rim/tire assembly specific to a Ford, Chevy, JD, Yanmar. or anything else. As far as I know, the center doesn't have a universal marking system like the rim does. But there are some common terms are used to describe the part. These terms are the center knockout (hole) diameter, the characteristics of the bolt circle, and the center "offset".

THe center hole diameter and the bolt circle are both fairly standard. Most of the tractor (and car) industries use the same center holes and a limited selection of bolt circles. The difference in wheels comes from the offset measurement. Offset does vary from tractor to tractor - often varying within one manufacturer's different models.

Offset would be easy if the center were just welded into the center of the rim, but few wheels are that way. Offset is usually specified in terms of how many inches the center web is displaced from the center of the wheel. We all know that tractors need the option of allowing
the wheel to be mounted from either side so that the tractors tread width is adjustable. For that reason, most Ag wheel centers have a bolt circle made with a flat surface designed to be used with flat faced lug nuts or bolts. Making it that way allows the mounting lugs to pinch the wheel center from either side. If you think about it, having a flat center also allows the offset to bbe specified as a single number. The offset number is just the distance (usually in inches again) that the center web is moved away from center of the wheel rim before it is welded

The exception to that offset rule is where the bolt circle calls for a tapered seat type of lug bolt or nut. Tapered seats can only be used with the wheel mounted in one way, and are used when the designer has some reason to require that the wheel be mounted in only one way. One place you will see this used in tractors is where the offset is very large - like in super fat turf tires.

What this all means is that there is a simple alternative to ordering Yanmar wheels to fit Yanmar tractors. And it isn't scrounging through the junk yards for wheels to fit your tractor...fun though that is. All of those wheel parts are available from automotive and tractor wholesalers. A guy can order rims and center webs and weld them up himself. At worst he might have to drill a new pattern of lug bolt holes. There are also custom wheel shops that are well aware of how universal that the wheel parts are. If you provide them with the measurements above then they can make you up a set of wheels to fit anything.......good luck! roger_scotty

/ Wheels for Tractors #2  
Great Post! As I remember it the wheels on my Yanmar Has metric center hole, bolt circle and bolt holes. Can you get that or do you get something close in an english size? I noticed that some tractors have adjustable wheels. Can you get those custom made?

Chris

/ Wheels for Tractors
I call it the English system too....though I know intellectually that the Brits use metric. :)
Are you sure that yours are metric? I've never measured mine exactly, but the inch measurement comes out very close to exact while the metric is some wild fraction. Also, the stampings on my rim are in inches.
Just to keep us guessing, my lug bolts are not only metric, they are some sort of fine thread metric which is peculiar to lug bolts. When I changed wheels to the turf size (also inch measure), I had to replace the flat headed lug bolts with tapered type and had the devil of a time trying to find them at Napa - also expensive. So after looking around it turns out my local tire shop had buckets full of old lug bolts for free. After dumping them out on the floor I found enough matching ones to do the job. All chrome plated, too!
This made me real happy until my buddy got to wondering why a tire shop would have lots of perfectly good used lug bolts??....Its not like they go bad...

/ Wheels for Tractors #4  
Here is what I measured for my 186D. On the rear wheel there is a 90mm center hole. 90mm is pretty close to 3 1/2". There are 6 - 12mm bolts in a 120mm circle. on the front wheel there is a 80mm center hole. there are 4 - 14mm bolts in a 130mm.

Chris

/ Wheels for Tractors
Center holes don't matter much as long as they are larger. The bolt circle sounds like it might be what....about 4 3/4 inches?
For a quick look at front wheels I use millertire.com/wheels and rims/implement.

/ Wheels for Tractors #6  
the 4/130 bolt circle (yanmar 1610d) ist the same as on Volkswagen beetles ( from 1967 to 1979 and mexican manufactured models).

So i think it is possible to take some buggy rims for the front, if someone looking for turf tires (eg. like 7x14")