Need Help ASAP installing FEL on yanmar

/ Need Help ASAP installing FEL on yanmar #1  

wildthang4786

Tractor
YM2200
Hello everyone, this is my first question on these forums and I am hoping someone can help me out. I'm not totally a noob on tractors, but totally a noob when it comes to the hydrolic systems on them. I know to keep the fluid at full and that is about it! :)

I have a yanmar 2200 guessing around early 80's year wise. It has 2 tanks for hydrolic fluid, 1 infront of sead at transmission, other under seat for 3pt I believe. I am trying to install a FEL off a Iseki tractor, with some mods of course. I have remade the plates it bolts too and have it mounted up and everything, only thing I have left to do is hook up the juice (hydrolics) to it. The FEL I believe is an open circuit (again, noob!) because it has a cutoff valve on the "in" line. It does blow air through when the valve is set to the on position the air will come out the "out" hose when no joysticks are in use. So I need to know 1, can/should I take the cutoff valve out of the picture and just hook hose to joysticks and to pump line directly with quick disconnects? Next 2, how the the bloody crap do you install the FEL hoses to the pump of the tractor? I've read that you cut a space out of the small line and use 90 degree fittings, and hook the "in" line from FEL to the side going to the pump, and the "out" FEL hose to the side going to the back guessing to the 3pt system. I have the Koyle diagram printed out if that is the correct way to install it. I believe the joysticks had PB on them, not for sure, but there is a place for a 3rd hose to be going out, but it has been sealed off and only has 2 hoses coming from it. A "in" and "out". I do not know the model of Iseki it came off of, so no info on that part. Lastly 3, where is the best place to cut into the lines on the pump?

I've heard from people around here (we really have NO yanmar dealers here) that you just T into the small pump line for the "in" on FEL and the big line to "out of FEL. My brain just don't see that setup working at all, to me both FEL and 3pt would never work cause they would never build pressure up?? *scratching head* I do NOT want to blow that pump up or the FEL so I am looking for you people that maybe has more knowhow than I do about this.

One more thing on the side, will 1/2 in compression fittings work on the 12mm small line from pump?? Noone around here has metric!! Half the FEL hoses are metric and half is standard. Just using lots of tread tape to join the two. *rolls eyes* Wasn't me, got it that way...

Thanks for any help and hopefully it will come to me ASAP :) Will be buying parts tomorrow sometime. Thanks again everyone.

/ Need Help ASAP installing FEL on yanmar #2  
wildthang4786 said:
I've heard from people around here (we really have NO yanmar dealers here) that you just T into the small pump line for the "in" on FEL and the big line to "out of FEL. My brain just don't see that setup working at all, to me both FEL and 3pt would never work cause they would never build pressure up?? *scratching head* I do NOT want to blow that pump up or the FEL so I am looking for you people that maybe has more knowhow than I do about this.

I will address only one aspect of this. You ONLY cut the small pressure line. DO NOT cut the bigger line--it is a suction line that feeds the pump. The pump side of the cut (smaller line) attaches to the IN port of the valve. The OUT port of the valve will go to the other side of the cut small line.

Think of it this way. You cut the line and detour the oil though the loader valve. The oil continues on to its original destination only rerouted through the FEL valve. Now if you want to take the FEL off you NEED to connect the 2 hoses together that you ran up to the FEL valve. The flow must never be stopped from getting to its original intended destination.

The above is the simplest, is very commonly done (even factory installations) and will work. I believe that technically it is not the proper way to do this and can damage seals in your FEL valve. Technically you should have a Power beyond port activated and properly plugged. (From your description, it does not seem that this was done before.) So that the flow is into the IN port (pump side of cut line) and out the PB port (3 pt side of cut line). The OUT port is for the oil returning from the FEL cylinders under low pressure and this line connects to the reservoir in your transmission though a plug somewhere in the side of the trans.

How to activate the PB I do not know. It is valve specific, but usually involves installing a pipe plug internally so that you cannot just "blow though the valve to the OUT port.

Hope that helps and is not too confusing.

Mike

/ Need Help ASAP installing FEL on yanmar #3  
thang there are a couple of places that have diagrams (with pictures) about installing a Koyker loaders that show hyd. hook-ups. One is Hoye that is listed at the top of this page. Another is used compact tractors, front end loaders, backhoe attachments, implements. Be very careful about hooking up the hoses if they are incorrect you will cause damage at the pump. In my case the key sheared in the pump and did very little damage. I ordered a new key from Wayne at LMTC and repaired pump. I don't know if your valve would be configured same as the Koyker valve factory setting. But you have to have flow through valve at all times. You will really enjoy loader. big dan

/ Need Help ASAP installing FEL on yanmar #4  
YM2200 is early-mid 70s. Primarily the vn reconners bring them in anymore. We have never installed a loader on a 2200 (and I doubt that most non-recon dealers ever have) so I have no idea whether it has any eccentricities to the hydraulic system. I would not sub 1/2" for 12mm. 12mm is plenty available, though perhaps not in your immediate neighborhood. "lots of thread tape" when dealing with 1500 psi or better sounds pretty dangerous to me.

/ Need Help ASAP installing FEL on yanmar #5  
wildthang4786 said:
One more thing on the side, will 1/2 in compression fittings work on the 12mm small line from pump?? Noone around here has metric!! Half the FEL hoses are metric and half is standard. Just using lots of tread tape to join the two. *rolls eyes* Wasn't me, got it that way...

I wouldn't do it. I tried using 1/2 and it really made a mess when it blew off. You can order metric from any of the dealers that hang out on this site. Just wait till some of that tape comes off and gets in your hydraulic valves and in the pump. Potential for lots of fun:eek: :eek: :eek:

/ Need Help ASAP installing FEL on yanmar #6  
12mm is about .472 and 1/2 is .500 so there would be a lot of gap to fill. I used the 12mm fittings and still have a small weep. big dan

/ Need Help ASAP installing FEL on yanmar #7  
I agree with the slow it down and use the correct 12mm connectors. You might also consider mounting the valve permanently on the tractor then if you remove the FEL it won't matter if the Hi-pressure lines get reconnected correctly. They never get disconnected that way. I have quick attaches on the valve to the lines to the four FEL cylinders.

/ Need Help ASAP installing FEL on yanmar
I have talked to the guy that is helping me install it and we decided to just go ahead and use the 1/2 fittings, but we are going to wireweld them to the pump lines before we fire up the tractor. Wont be no leakin or slippin off then, so he says. (He the welding guy, not me) :) He is taking the hoses that going to the pump and having standard ends put on the ends going to the pump lines so we wont have to mess with metric down the road. The other hoses from joystick to FEL will be left alone and not changed. If they ain't broke, don't fixem, that what I always say. Any other help will still be welcome. Glad so many of you are trowing in info!

/ Need Help ASAP installing FEL on yanmar
Hey everyone, just giving a little update here. I got the FEL hooked up and running. Used the 1/2 compression fittings and tight'n them down best we could and then welded all the way around each one so to make a complete seal. Not a leak so far, seems very solid. It took about 1gl of fluid to fill it up all the FEL lines and such. It seems to be working very well now except for bending the bucket rods 3 times so far. Found out after I brought it home and it bent the 3rd time that the right (sittin on the seat) cylinder on the bucket is either very so or not responding at all. The one on the left was the only one working and was actually pushing the right one in and out, but because of the pressure of only 1 working it was bending the bucket rods on one side. Any idea's on why that one wouldn't be working? It has a very small leak on the cylinder itself, but not nowhere near enough to be making it loose that much pressure. Maybe a clog or just still air in the lines?
Also, does anyone know where the hydraulics pump filter is located on my yanmar?

Thanks

/ Need Help ASAP installing FEL on yanmar #10  
Are you sure the crossover line is connected? Does it work in one direction and not the other? It's likely an O-ring or internal seal is blown in the bad cylinder. If it does not work at all, change left with right cylinder and see if working side changes. If so repair/replace the bad cylinder. The whole process should take <1/2 hour to diagnose. If failure does not change with cylinder swap, then repair/replace the cross over hose and/or the couplings.