Add Gauges on YM 1700

/ Add Gauges on YM 1700 #1  

highvolt1

Tractor
JD4400, JD850, JD275, JD Gator TX
I am considering adding oil, temp, and volt gauges on my YM 1700 like most others have done. I don't currently have a problem with the idiot lights, but I don't want to cook an engine depending on a light.
Seems like everyone likes the Sunpro gauges so these are what I am considering.
Can someone tell me where the best place is to purchase the gauges?
Does everything come with the gauges to mount them on the 1700?
Does everyone cut holes and mount them on the dash?
Does everyone completely do away with the idiot lights to mount gauges?

/ Add Gauges on YM 1700 #2  
I'm not convinced these things need more than what Yanmar already put on them. Just test the temp lamp occasionally, as follows:

At the temp sensor, slide its connector up slightly and touch a grounding wire to that terminal. The temp light should come on.

These tractors are elegantly simple. I would spend the money on maintenance, maybe get the radiator rodded out or something, rather than adding complexity.

/ Add Gauges on YM 1700 #3  
My lights didn't work. I ordered small gages and put them in the dash. I used a hole saw worked well. Just beware there are wires up in dash.

/ Add Gauges on YM 1700 #4  
I hear that the gauges might be no longer available from Sunpro. About the time I installed mine I saw similar gauges in Wallyworld and some auto parts stores. I had to buy a metric adapter for the temperature gauge sensor connection to the block. I used an electrician's hole punch to cut the holes in my dash--quick and neat. If you want to keep the idiot lights, you can put a tee in the oil pressure line to operate the gauge and the pressure switch. Doing the same for the temperature gauge probably won't work very well. The temperature sensor needs to be in the coolant flow for accurate operation.

/ Add Gauges on YM 1700 #5  
I agree with California about keeping them simple, but if you have too.....The easiest way is to go to Sunpro® and just pick out what you need. When I was considering it, I was thinking the smaller, 1 1/2" gauges were what I wanted. They also sell the "tees" you will want, to keep the idiot lights working as well and you will need metric adapters, and the copper line, not plastic.Be sure to check out there "clearance" section too, as you may find what you want there. I was just there and saw the tee's on sale.
I also had a salesman in an auto parts store tell me they would help me find the tee's or any other fittings I would need. Hope this helps.

/ Add Gauges on YM 1700
Thanks everyone for your comments. I like simple and that is probably the way I will stay. I have checked all the lights and they all work, so I will probably just stay with the lights.
Looks like I need to inspect some bearings, so that is my priority now.

1Yammerslammer, I am just north of you in Granville County, North Carolina

/ Add Gauges on YM 1700 #7  
highvolt1 said:
I am considering adding oil, temp, and volt gauges on my YM 1700 like most others have done. I don't currently have a problem with the idiot lights, but I don't want to cook an engine depending on a light.
Seems like everyone likes the Sunpro gauges so these are what I am considering.
Can someone tell me where the best place is to purchase the gauges?
Does everything come with the gauges to mount them on the 1700?
Does everyone cut holes and mount them on the dash?
Does everyone completely do away with the idiot lights to mount gauges?

California hit the nail on the head, I would add that if you put a temp gauge on it then you would think your tractor is running hot because yanmars without a water pump run hotter than those that do.

Danny

/ Add Gauges on YM 1700 #8  
1danny said:
California hit the nail on the head, I would add that if you put a temp gauge on it then you would think your tractor is running hot because yanmars without a water pump run hotter than those that do.

Danny

I'll agree with this. I still have all the lights on my 3110D & don't expect to add any gauges as long as they work

/ Add Gauges on YM 1700 #9  
Here is a set of Sunpro gauges that I installed on my 1500D. I had both the oil and temp sending units go bad on me, so I switched over to gauges. Since I do not have a water pump I feel the temp gauge is the way to go. It also lets you know when your tractor has "warmed up". The oil gauge gives you some piece of mine. If you know your tractor runs in a certain range and then drops low, then there is something wrong and needs to be looked at. Basically gives you a heads up verses having an idiot like come on and resulting in you immediately parking the tractor. It is really a matter of preference I guess, if I had a new tractor I would not care, but with a 30 year old recon any forwarning of a problem is well taken. On an important note, the Sunpro gauges that I picked up at advance auto were not water proof. Usually I keep the tractor in the barn, but had it over at a friends moving mulch and it rained on the tractor a couple of times. Gauges still worked but had condensation on the inside of the glass. The other thing is that you will need the metric adapters. Strange thing is that AA does not sell them and the only guy in the area that does charges $14 for the insert! Of course they can be ordered from various suppliers that may be cheaper....

VT

Attachments

• sunpro cluster.JPG
    sunpro cluster.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 256