engine block heater

/ engine block heater #1  

bob c

what size heater? can you buy one too large and damage the engine?is the oilpan the best spot,we are talking about a 1610d?

/ engine block heater #2  
Hi Bob,

One of the most economical ways to heat the engine is with an in line heater located between the rad and block. These heaters are inexpensive and work fine. They are also found at most auto supply stores. The requirement is an upward run into the block. You cut about a 2 inch section out of the hose and insert the heater. You can use the lower hose, as the heater has a straight through bore surrounded by the heating element. I have one on the lower RAD hose of my Yanmar 240 and one on the upper hose of my Iseki loader. Both are low watt heaters (about 300w) and need about 1/2 hour to heat up for a nice start (an hour would probably be better). I also have a magnetic pan heater on the Yanmar, so they both get plugged in for about 30 minutes before starting. Really helps in British Columbia.

/ engine block heater #3  
The heaters are thermostatically controlled. A large one takes less time to heat your system. The block heater type is perfered in the automo0tive industry. In Canada almost every new car/PU comes with an installed block heater.:D :D

Put one in each bank on a V8 and it melts the snow off the hood.:D :D

/ engine block heater #4  
Find the Kim-Hotstart catalog, think it's on line. Rear of the catalog is a listing for Yanmar block heater. This only works if you have the large plug just above the starter. Screw out the plug and screw in the heater, that's it. Heater and cord costs about $50.
Chris

/ engine block heater #5  
chriswheeler said:
Find the Kim-Hotstart catalog, think it's on line. Rear of the catalog is a listing for Yanmar block heater. This only works if you have the large plug just above the starter. Screw out the plug and screw in the heater, that's it. Heater and cord costs about $50.
Chris
Here's their catalog. http://www.kimhotstart.com/kimhotstart/uploads/documents/catalog/imc_500_catalog.pdf
Yanmar is on page 54. They don't list YM240 specifically, just some later engines. Their 'Yanmar heater' is 400 watts with 1" NPT threads.

/ engine block heater #6  
I can supply you with OEM Yanmar heater, if your block has a screw in freeze plug. If it doesn't have the plug, the radiator hose heater works well.