Default engine block heater

what size heater? can you buy one too large and damage the engine?is the oilpan the best spot,we are talking about a 1610d?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM240D / Massey Ferguson 135 / New Holland TN75F / Pasquali 988 and 997 / Goldoni 20A, 226 and Maxter 70RS / Ferrari 76 and 85 / Holder A50 / Valpadana VMC 180 / Long 610 4WD

Default Re: engine block heater

Hi Bob,

One of the most economical ways to heat the engine is with an in line heater located between the rad and block. These heaters are inexpensive and work fine. They are also found at most auto supply stores. The requirement is an upward run into the block. You cut about a 2 inch section out of the hose and insert the heater. You can use the lower hose, as the heater has a straight through bore surrounded by the heating element. I have one on the lower RAD hose of my Yanmar 240 and one on the upper hose of my Iseki loader. Both are low watt heaters (about 300w) and need about 1/2 hour to heat up for a nice start (an hour would probably be better). I also have a magnetic pan heater on the Yanmar, so they both get plugged in for about 30 minutes before starting. Really helps in British Columbia.

The heaters are thermostatically controlled. A large one takes less time to heat your system. The block heater type is perfered in the automo0tive industry. In Canada almost every new car/PU comes with an installed block heater.

Put one in each bank on a V8 and it melts the snow off the hood.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 970TLB, John Deere 125 automatic

Find the Kim-Hotstart catalog, think it's on line. Rear of the catalog is a listing for Yanmar block heater. This only works if you have the large plug just above the starter. Screw out the plug and screw in the heater, that's it. Heater and cord costs about $50.
    Chris

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by chriswheeler
    Find the Kim-Hotstart catalog, think it's on line. Rear of the catalog is a listing for Yanmar block heater. This only works if you have the large plug just above the starter. Screw out the plug and screw in the heater, that's it. Heater and cord costs about $50.
    Chris
    Here's their catalog. http://www.kimhotstart.com/kimhotsta...00_catalog.pdf
    Yanmar is on page 54. They don't list YM240 specifically, just some later engines. Their 'Yanmar heater' is 400 watts with 1" NPT threads.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    ford 9700, tw30, massey, jd2030 jd4010, yanmar F60d, ym330d, ym276d,ym226d,ym186d, ym2000, ym155

I can supply you with OEM Yanmar heater, if your block has a screw in freeze plug. If it doesn't have the plug, the radiator hose heater works well.