oil seal on tiller

/ oil seal on tiller #1  

mtsman

Bronze Member
Tractor
F16D, F22D
With the Yanmar I just bought came a used Yanmar tiller. I had a problem with the tiller for which the dealer sent me the correct parts in a timely manner. I got it working. I filled the gear box and chain drive with 85-140 gear oil as per instructed. I ran it in the air on the tractor for about 5 min. and everything looked good. Then, a leak developed between the tines and the inner housing of the lower bearing. I know there is an oil seal in there. Do these go bad regularly? Is the oil I'm using too viscous? Where would I find the lower bearing inner oil seal for a Yanmar tiller? That could be impossible. Its still seeping out.

/ oil seal on tiller #2  
I just recently took a tiller apart. It had a virbiration in it that I didn't like. I guess I'm too pickie. If your has a chain drive its different from what I have. From the looks of the housing I thought a chain drive would be the way to go. But I took it apart and it was four gears. Much better. I have replace the lube with GL90 and it don't leak. Put the seal back together with silcone, no leak. I did not take apart the shaft you are refering to, but something I found out. If there is a sealing leaking get it out and take it too a local auto parts store. I bet they will have a replacement.

/ oil seal on tiller #3  
Bearings and seals are almost all metric. There will be numbers on the seal and bearing. A bearing supply should have no problem matching them. I have found that the OEM seals are usually multi lip and the generic seals are single lip. They are usually under water in Japan and dry here so the single lip should work fine.

/ oil seal on tiller #4  
I have never messed with seals but I remember reading that in the front axle a little leak makes a big mess but it takes a long time to notice a change in the oil level so it can leak for a while before you have to do something. Also there was a post about some miracle additive that can reseal the seals.

Chris