F15d or YM1500d

/ F15d or YM1500d #1  

artfull dodger

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 420 garden tractor
I am looking between these two models, I like the very short wheel base on the F series and the step thru design, but then I also like the ease of getting parts on the YM series, though I have told the parts avaiblity on the F series will get better in the coming years. My use is light duty work so I wont be tearing it up, no FEL, just some finish mowing with a 3pt mounted mower and moving snow with a back blade. I am still setting back money to pay for it so I have time to consider my options. Mike and Michele

/ F15d or YM1500d #4  
Ditto on my FX24D

/ F15d or YM1500d #5  
Mike,

It's not too difficult to realize that the best and most supported YM series tractors, once plentifully stockpiled in the yards of Japan, is diminishing. Those models are still the rock solid backbone of the industry, easiest to support and repair, parts only a phone call away and have seen years of faithful service since their import to dealers, and probably will be in the distant future.

Understandably, the F series tractors and their import popularity are primarily due to the YM models that may be less available as time goes by. Either way and no matter what model you decide on, the most important part of a purchase will be selecting the dealer. One that has a decent track record with honest assurances of support and parts supplies from the date of the sale and for decades to come. If I found such a dealer then it would only be a matter of choice between the two models - which ever struck my fancy at that time.

I would imagine in a decade or so, we will be having this conversation about the F series vs. the newer K imports even though the YM will still be supported, owned and operated by thousands of faithful customers.

/ F15d or YM1500d #6  
GRACIAS PO LO QUE ME PUEDA AYUDAR NESECITO UN DIFERENCIAL COMPLETO DEL JANMAR 1500---2TR15-SERIE 05633 4x4 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxIt's not too difficult to realize that the best and most supported YM series tractors, once plentifully stockpiled in the yards of Japan, is diminishing. Those models are still the rock solid backbone of the industry, easiest to support and repair, parts only a phone call away and have seen years of faithful service since their import to dealers, and probably will be in the distant future.

Understandably, the F series tractors and their import popularity are primarily due to the YM models that may be less available as time goes by. Either way and no matter what model you decide on, the most important part of a purchase will be selecting the dealer. One that has a decent track record with honest assurances of support and parts supplies from the date of the sale and for decades to come. If I found such a dealer then it would only be a matter of choice between the two models - which ever struck my fancy at that time.

I would imagine in a decade or so, we will be having this conversation about the F series vs. the newer K imports even though the YM will still be supported, owned and operated by thousands of faithful customers.[/QUOTE]

/ F15d or YM1500d #7  
While a lot of such a decision surely comes down to personal taste, it remains a fact that the YMs have more parts support in general than the Fs. Will someone likley start making high-demand parts for Fs eventually? Probably. But remember, just like with the YMs, it will be model by model, and there will have to be a high enough demand for the part before someone invests in it.....simply having x number of a given model in the market will not induce someone to invest in any given part. There are nowhere near as many parts available for some YMs as others. What an aftermarket producer will invest in is going to be determined in great part by estimates of the number(s) of a model in the marketplace, and documentable demand for a specific part. The F15 will never approach the YM1500 for volume. Not in my lifetime, and I anticipate I might have another 20 years. The F15 will not approach many other F models, so unless it has a lot of interchangeability with other F models, it could be a problem a lot longer than some models. I do not have the experience with Fs to know what the interchangeability---if there is any--might be.

With all that said, it is possible---maybe even probable---that if one gets a good unit to start with there might be no significant part needs for years. It's also possible one might need a part in short order that is either unavailable or very difficult (translation--pricey) to get. I just tend to play the odds, since I have to answer to customers. I would get an F15 for someone on request, but won't stock one on the lot.

/ F15d or YM1500d #8  
I have had both a F15D and a YM1500D. 2 very different machines.
3cyl vs 2cyl. Wheelbase size. The F is factory 2pt it has to have a "made" 3pt put on it, the YM has a 3pt right from the factory.
Longer wheelbase on the 1500 is very helpful.
If you have a mower or hog on the back you will need a good bit of weight on the front of the F15D, you will need weight on the YM also but not as much.
Parts is a big deal. It really won't matter much to you, until you need them.
If you have the F it will just depend on which part you need.
The YM most all parts are readily available.

BTI

/ F15d or YM1500d #9  
BTI said:
I have had both a F15D and a YM1500D. 2 very different machines.
3cyl vs 2cyl. Wheelbase size. The F is factory 2pt it has to have a "made" 3pt put on it, the YM has a 3pt right from the factory.
BTI

BTI could you expand on the 2pt vs 3pt thing. I just bought an F15D and looks to me all I need is a 3pt kit (2 lower arms, 2 side arms, 1 top link, and chains). What else would need to be done?

/ F15d or YM1500d #10  
You are correct. All you need is the 3pt "kit". Nothing else needs done.
Some of the conversions I've seen are a bit cheesy, some are very nice.
The YM1500 came standard with a well built 3pt on it no "kit" needed.

BTI