YM 2000 2wd, Hairline Cracks, Front Axle

/ YM 2000 2wd, Hairline Cracks, Front Axle #1  

jfobel

Folks, under further examination of my new toy i had noticed there are hairline cracks in the cast iron of the front axle. I believe from this diagram it is part #6.

FRONT_AXLE_2WD: Yanmar Tractor Parts

The cracks appear to have rust on them so they may very well be old. I did notice a crack on each side of the axle located next to part #10.

If i get in a bind in soft dirt/mud is there a possibility of this breaking all the way? Can this be welded instead of replaced?

Any comments is welcome.

Thanks,

Jack

/ YM 2000 2wd, Hairline Cracks, Front Axle #2  
That is definitely a part that you do not want to break. I would not take a chance. If it does break it can very easily result in a rollover. I don't think it is cast (may be wrong though) and should be easily welded. I have seen some weld stiffeners in also.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ YM 2000 2wd, Hairline Cracks, Front Axle #3  
The nice thing is the axle can be easily removed, cleaned and prepared. Although it could easily be welded in place, I would remove it and prep it carefully on the flat. (It also will result in a very neat and tidy weld if done on the horizontal and if you are not a welder, you can drive the piece over to someone who can).

I would grind it clean and V it to 60 degrees to ensure good penetration. Use stringer beads of 7018 on reverse polarity and blend with a flap disk. Once painted, it will be as good as new.

/ YM 2000 2wd, Hairline Cracks, Front Axle #4  
wow!! you know your stuff. good info, too.