battery charge light on in the dash

/ battery charge light on in the dash #1  

steamteam

I need help with my Yanmar FX20d. My battery charge light is on and I have to jump my tractor every time I use. What I would like to do if possible, is to replace my current dynamo and voltage regulator set up with an automotive type alternator containing an internal voltage regulator. My tractor is an FX20D 3-cylinder diesel model number 3TN82U. My tractor has a 12 volt negative ground 75 Ah dynamo(AC). If there is any one out there that can tell me how to do this if it can be done I sure would appreciate it. Thank You! denny

/ battery charge light on in the dash #2  
Welcome and have you checked your battery?
:)

/ battery charge light on in the dash #3  
MrJimi said:
steamteam said:
I need help with my Yanmar FX20d. My battery charge light is on and I have to jump my tractor every time I use. What I would like to do if possible, is to replace my current dynamo and voltage regulator set up with an automotive type alternator containing an internal voltage regulator. My tractor is an FX20D 3-cylinder diesel model number 3TN82U. My tractor has a 12 volt negative ground 75 Ah dynamo(AC). If there is any one out there that can tell me how to do this if it can be done I sure would appreciate it. Thank You! denny
Welcome and have you checked your battery? :)
Jimi, that's a classic ....

/ battery charge light on in the dash #4  
California said:
Jimi, that's a classic ....

Well, It's the truth, I hope he don't come back and say yup, It's in there :D :D
if the battery is bad and won't hold a charge it will do what he is saying it does
Jim

/ battery charge light on in the dash #5  
Its not a problem if you can find one that will mount up . If it is not a self exciting type alternator you will need to run the exciter wire through a low wattage bulb in line with the ignition . (The warning light you have will do)

/ battery charge light on in the dash
Hi MRJIMI, IT is nice to meet someone with a sense of humor. I guess I should have explained a little further. I have a new battery. I also have found out that the external voltage regulator has failed. From what I understand the regulator will be an ongoing problem. So I am trying to save myself some stress and replace the whole system. Thanks Steamteam!

/ battery charge light on in the dash #7  
I hope your parts aren't very much, around here most auto parts stores will check them for free, I like Autozone here, you may have something different near you

/ battery charge light on in the dash #8  
steamteam said:
Hi MRJIMI, IT is nice to meet someone with a sense of humor. I guess I should have explained a little further. I have a new battery. I also have found out that the external voltage regulator has failed. From what I understand the regulator will be an ongoing problem. So I am trying to save myself some stress and replace the whole system. Thanks Steamteam!

I would replace the regulator, I've owned 4 or 5 F model Yanmar tractors and I've sold about 40 or 50 F models in the last few years and I've never had to replace any voltage regulators. I don't think that I've sold more than 2 or 3 F model regulators since I've been in business.

Danny

/ battery charge light on in the dash #9  
Its more than likely your voltage regulator, it will make the light come on.
We have replaced quite a few of them so we keep at least 5 on the shelf at all times.

You can buy one from any of the dealers that post here

also check your fan belt

/ battery charge light on in the dash
MorningtractorErnie,
If you sell regulators for my tractor. Would you let me know how much? If you know which one I need maybe I will get it from you and replace my old one. I live in Texas so please include shipping charge. Thanks Steamteam